Tankmates for 125 Clouded Archer Tank?

Northwest_Scapes_

Heyo! So im finally setting up a 125g Clouded Archer Tank! It's something I've always wanted to do and after a switch of plans, I settled on this. 

The current plan is lots of live plants, lots of Red Mangroves, and the Canister I've got is rated for 150G so definitely a bit overfiltered. 

The stocking plan I have in mind consists of a group of Clouded Archers of course, but others are Roseline Sharks (Dennison Barbs), Rummynose Tetras, Amazon Puffers (I can keep up with the trimming), and that's about it for now. While I'm still thinking about it, I think I will fill the whole tank up instead of 3/4ths way, so I get the full 125 gallons. Any other suggestions on what to add? I'm definitely open to all suggestions, they just have to be peaceful and plant friendly. 

Rummynose will definitely get chased by the archer fish as they can be temperamental I too would go with a more robust tetra species.

If you go with the mangroves I might go with the 3/4 fill as it may be hard to find a sapling that's 24" tall unless you live in the southern panhandle. I say 24" because the fill height of a standard 125 is 21" and the leaves must not be submerged, they will rot.

Both archerfish and puffers are messy eaters so having more flow is probably best. Other than that their are some robust freshwater gobies that would make the bottom of the tank more lively.

Also as a sidenote. Puffer and archerfish are intelligent animals. I would provide them with some sort of enrichment so they dont get bored and terrorize your plants and hardscape. Sounds like a fun tank though!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 8:05 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Rummynose will definitely get chased by the archer fish as they can be temperamental I too would go with a more robust tetra species.

If you go with the mangroves I might go with the 3/4 fill as it may be hard to find a sapling that's 24" tall unless you live in the southern panhandle. I say 24" because the fill height of a standard 125 is 21" and the leaves must not be submerged, they will rot.

Both archerfish and puffers are messy eaters so having more flow is probably best. Other than that their are some robust freshwater gobies that would make the bottom of the tank more lively.

Also as a sidenote. Puffer and archerfish are intelligent animals. I would provide them with some sort of enrichment so they dont get bored and terrorize your plants and hardscape. Sounds like a fun tank though!

Thank you! 1 trick with the Mangroves I was thinking about doing is keeping the seed above the water, and having the roots spread in the water so the leaves are above the water.  

I was wondering if you think a Trio of something like an earth eater species for the Sand bed would be good with the archers? Or would they cause too much of a bioload?

I don't see any issue with some geophagus. They are some of my favorite South American cichlids!

A few of us on the forums are experimenting with using red mangroves as a good biological filter in freshwater. Once established they can absorb nitrates like a sponge. Interestingly they prefer stagnant anaerobic sand beds, but saltwater folks stick them in their sumps or refugiums.

If you want the trees to form a dense canopy, which is what I am attempting in brackish next year, planting them into the tank with a good LED light will do wonders. You can also bonsai cultivate them so they stay short and bushy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...