High pH. Need info or advice.

CalmedByFish

My critters are accustomed to pH 7.8. In my new house, the pH is 8.3-8.4.

The water I tested (twice) was tap water in a clean tank with new inert gravel, treated with a double dose of Fritz Complete, with an airstone running for 14 hours. 

Most of my species can adapt to the increase in pH, but the neocaridina, per Flip Aquatics, should max out at pH 7.6. (They were staying alive at the previous pH 7.8, but not breeding.)

I've heard decreasing GH can also decrease pH, but I actually want to increase GH a bit. So that option is out.

I know that a stable pH is safer than "chasing" pH. My KH is 9-10, so I think stability should be okay. But I'd prefer the pH be stable and lower.

When I add organics (plants, fish food and poo) to the tank, to what extent might that lower pH?

I know tannins can decrease pH, but I very much dislike tan water. (If needed, I could roll my eyes and keep a species-only neocaridina tank with tannins. Also, my neocaridina are actually my least-favorite species, so maybe I could very gradually let their pH increase, and just cross my fingers.)

Regardless of what happens to the neocaridina, the other species I'm more concerned about are: an angelfish, endlers, platies, and green plants.

If you have any further info or ideas, I'd appreciate it. 

Edited by CalmedByFish
typo

On 11/27/2021 at 1:25 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I've heard decreasing GH can also decrease pH, but I actually want to increase GH a bit. So that option is out.

Do you mean KH? I've never observed changes in GH having any effect on my pH.

On 11/27/2021 at 1:25 PM, CalmedByFish said:

When I add organics (plants, fish food and poo) to the tank, to what extent might that lower pH?

Minimal at best if you keep up with water changes.

Just lower your KH to 3 degrees, should be fine for the shrimp and angels. 

Fluctuating pH is not an issue if GH, KH and TDS are stable. That's an old wives tale.

No real advice on changing the PH, but I've had luck keeping and breeding neocardina at PH 8.2 for about a year now.  I will say that it took me a few tries to get a batch that did well, but at least with this strain of blue velvets it's not been an issue.  

Neocaridina shrimp and guppies reproduce just fine in my 8.2 pH water.  I've also had rainbowfish fry.  That's about it.  I have three species of cory, but have never seen any breeding behavior from them, or the pearl gouramis or tetras.

Most plants do just fine.  After an extensive melting, when I thought it was all dead, subwassertang is even thriving.

Edited by JettsPapa

My water runs from 8.0 to 8.4 depending on how I look at the test strip. I sell 150-200 Cherry Shrimp a month, mostly out of my 40 breeder community tank but the other tanks also grow Neocaridina very quickly. I wouldn't worry about it.

My opinion on why people have trouble with shrimp is they are worried about overfeeding and starve them.

• Like 1