Help calibrating Eheim Jager heater

BeginnerFishKeeper

I recently set up my eheim heater for my quarantine tank and followed the directions  carefully (when I say I annotated the instruction manual I’m not kidding). I set the temp to about 78 using the blue dial then waited around 2 hours. I came back to check the temp using a digital thermometer and a glass thermometer and they both measured around  83°. I unplugged the heater and turned the blue dial to about 73 hoping it would heat to around 78 since there’s a 5 degree difference then plugged the heater back in. Checked back 2 hours later and both thermometers still read 83°. At that point I already had the betta fish and figured it’d be better to acclimate the fish already then take my chances spending more hours recalibrating the heater. That was last night, as of this morning the thermometers still read 83° and my betta fish is doing good. Am I doing something wrong with calibrating the heater? Is it urgent that I get the temperature down or is my betta ok with 83°? Ideally I would’ve liked to lower the temp to 78 so acclimating my betta to the display tank would be easier, but at this point I’m a little afraid to mess with the thermometer seeing how finicky it’s been with me. Thanks in advance! 

On 11/20/2021 at 2:49 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

You procedure seems ok.  But why didn't you set the red pointer to 83 then just use the blue dial to set 78?  In my opinion 83 is a little high, we keep ours 76-78ish.

I was under the impression the red pointer was purely cosmetic and since I’m only using it for quarantine I didn’t care for it show the correct temperature since I know what the temperature really is. Is the red pointer just cosmetic or does it play a role in proper calibration?

Setting the red pointer to the actual temp is the "calibration". 

How many gallons is the tank?

What is the temperature in the room the tank is in?

Is there a lid on the tank?

Depending on these variables, overnight may not be long enough to see a significant temperature change.

Another possibility is the heater may be defective.  What wattage is the heater?

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

Setting the red pointer to the actual temp is the "calibration". 

How many gallons is the tank?

What is the temperature in the room the tank is in?

Is there a lid on the tank?

Depending on these variables, overnight may not be long enough to see a significant temperature change.

Another possibility is the heater may be defective.  What wattage is the heater?

I suppose I have a misunderstanding of what calibration means then. The tank is 10 gallons, the room temperature is 71°, there is a lid on it, and the heater is 100 watts. I believe the instruction manual said turning the blue dial would make a clicking a sound which wasn’t the case for me, that’s the only variable I can think of that could possibly be affecting the heater. Not sure if that’s abnormal, but that’s the only step that happened differently when I set up the heater.