Limiting black beard algae contamination

BF McUmber

I have a tank at work tank that has some black beard algae in it. I would love to take some shrimp home but fear transfering the BBA home with me. Is there really a guaranteed way to keep it out, or will some spores always make it through?

The 10 gallon tank has about 70 cherry shrimp, 3 amano shrimp snails and fish. It seems to be at the critical mass of shrimp in there because it seems like they have eggs often but the population does not increase.  We also just witnessed one shrimp get murdered by the other shrimp which was kind of brutal to see.   Ironically I am having trouble keeping shrimp alive at home, and have some minor algae issues. So it would be neat to take some home.  

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:55 AM, BF McUmber said:

I have a tank at work tank that has some black beard algae in it. I would love to take some shrimp home but fear transfering the BBA home with me. Is there really a guaranteed way to keep it out, or will some spores always make it through?

The 10 gallon tank has about 70 cherry shrimp, 3 amano shrimp snails and fish. It seems to be at the critical mass of shrimp in there because it seems like they have eggs often but the population does not increase.  We also just witnessed one shrimp get murdered by the other shrimp which was kind of brutal to see.   Ironically I am having trouble keeping shrimp alive at home, and have some minor algae issues. So it would be neat to take some home.  

You can try your best to cut back algae spread, but in the end, there are many ways that it ultimately has its revenge on you.

Ive been very impressed with the work done by some Siamese Algae Eaters recently on beard algae. As long as they’re the genuine species (not Flying Foxes, and not Chinese Algae Eaters) they’re great.

2E8191F3-7B66-41BE-86F0-7BE9F17A466E.jpeg.2273cd602cd7abfb256b1b1805b43c28.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, BF McUmber said:

Is there really a guaranteed way to keep it out, or will some spores always make it through?

BBA simply does not spread by airborne spores, so you absolutely do not have anything to worry about there.  They are members of the Audouinella genus, and they spore so rarely that in many species sporing is unknown.  This means you don't really have to worry about spread by spores in the water either.  Now fragmentation...  That's another story.

Your best bet would be to remove the shrimp with a net and place them into new water (i.e. not water from the BBA tank) to transport them.  You may well need a secondary container for drip acclimation to the new water in between, but that's just going to further reduce the likelihood of any fragments of BBA making it through the process.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1