java fern roots?

slim

so for a java fern is this normal with roots off the upper stem? and what else could you tell me that you see in the photo i know java is better to plant on surfaces but i had these planted weeks ago just like this but all info is helpful 

im new to plants watched alot of videos

i just started using all in one aquarium co-op yesterday as well to help with some of my issues 

C81CD4C5-8D5A-4D92-AF86-C2FF9F166C1D.jpeg

It looks like you have just gravel as substrate, the plant may or may not eventually rot as Java is a rhizone plant but if it's not too buried it might be fine. Trust me, a lot of people new to plants mistakenly plant them- I had! It's not like they come with instructions and unless you look for the information you just assume a plant needs planting! Personally I have fun looking for things to glue new Java to. so if you ever find anything cool, uproot it and glue it!

Honestly can't really say how often it happens, lol, it just does. I take it as a sign of a happy plant. 🙂 

no its not that deep at all actually but i do have a java (the other starts with a w but cant remember) im pretty sure it has a iron deficiency cuz one stem is solid black exoskeleton (reason i got fertilizer) il get a picture and post it tomorrow 

now my other tank in fluval stratum they may be too beep but seem to be growing i know my anubus is too deep and its even growing anither stem 

i will be removing it and planting in a new location soon! 

Agree with @lefty o, those plants all need lifted.  The thicker stemmed, broader leaved plant is an Anubias which is also an epiphytes like the Java ferns you have.  Those all are fine with the roots planted but don’t really like their rhizome covered since it makes them prone to rot.  You need to lift them until the thick, more or less horizontal stem is exposed.  Or you can lift them entirely out of the substrate and attach them to wood or rocks.  You can attach them by tying them into place or by using superglue gel (liquid works too, it’s just much harder to work with).

Sometimes when the rhizome is reaching upwards, it’s the plant trying to get up away from the substrate.  But they also can seem to do that somewhat randomly.  May be trying to reach for more light or better water circulation.  Plants tend to grow towards the conditions they want.

My happiest Anubias and Java ferns are on wood which is soft enough for them to get their roots into, and some of their roots can also reach the substrate (or at least some mulm) and dig in for even more nutrients.

You can see several Anubias and Java ferns in this pic of my 20 H laser tank.  Here’s a link that I hope takes you straight to the plant list.  You can ignore everything until you see the second group of plants listed which is the epiphytes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

i actually have some cholla wood im soaking now throught about putting plants around,in, or glued too 

kids beta tank quit so im building another 

btw those tubes of plants ya get from big box stores how long will a plant last in one i bought some last week and buyin more this weekend for the new tank so they will have been in the tubes for a week next to my other tank for the light was worried about a lack of water and nutrients so i mixed a small amount of fertilizer and water and that givin em about 3-5 ml of water at night good bad or noooo??

On 11/18/2021 at 1:03 PM, slim said:

i actually have some cholla wood im soaking now throught about putting plants around,in, or glued too 

btw those tubes of plants ya get from big box stores how long will a plant last in one i bought some last week and buyin more this weekend for the new tank so they will have been in the tubes for a week next to my other tank for the light was worried about a lack of water and nutrients so i mixed a small amount of fertilizer and water and that givin em about 3-5 ml of water at night good bad or noooo??

they seem to last quite a while in those tubes.

Those tube plants are almost all I buy anymore (because no snails, I have a couple other sources that also offer no snails/pests) and they do last quite a while in them. I had one recently I kept out a week because I had other things to do. I'm sure giving them a little water might help but the gel in there is supposed to keep them alive. If they start looking weird or you just don't have time to plant when you get them just float them in some aquarium water (tub or tank) and they'll be fine. 

Remember they've lasted through the packaging, shipping, stocking process so they're already fairly tough. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 11/18/2021 at 1:03 PM, slim said:

They’ll be happier if you take them out of the tubes and just pop them in any tank with reasonable parameters.  Plants can float that way for weeks, longer if they are weighted so they’re oriented correctly.  I have a couple Anubias barteri that were just randomly floating in the previous owners tank.  They were doing fine for months but their leaves were growing every which direction.  It took months to get them growing looking normal again.  The plants were perfectly happy, just wonky looking.

• Love 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:27 AM, slim said:

ok good 

well it didnt stay but 10min not enough to hold it in place i see my people glue and tie it so i guess ima have to tie it to a rock and burry the rock 

You can also put a plant weight on the rhizome to hold it down until the roots can get themselves anchored.  You don’t have to bury the rock, it can just sit wherever you want it.  The roots can reach a surprisingly long way to the substrate but they don’t have to reach substrate at all.  They are perfectly happy drawing nutrients directly from the water column.  I’ve had several Anubias in this plastic shelf on the right side in this tank for MONTHS!  I just moved some of them into my 20 high and the 29 gallon.

F236B34C-DA20-4788-B296-FBBAB8969AB0.jpeg

• Love 1

see i was gonna weight em and i seen one of corys/johns at kg videos and when he was gettin into it and cory had sent him some lead weights so i started lookin into that as far of leaching lead but i have a bunch of stainless steel nutts i thought about usin as anchors

good news today tho il be planting them today java fern and anubias 

• Like 1