Sick betta

LoriG

My female betta is sick. She started spitting her food out then eventually eating it 1 week ago. She ate a frozen (thawed) bloodworm about 4-5 days ago and hasn’t been herself. Pretty sure she got constipated bc she had thick white poop hanging off of her until 2 days ago. She hasn’t eaten since the bloodworm and hides wherever she can. I’m afraid she’s developing dropsy(I’ve cured a Ranchu with dropsy) but I can’t catch her to put her in a QT tank. She’s always had a “crooked mouth” but the breeder didn’t think it was a tumor. 

6 gal tank with HOB filter. Water Parameters: Ammo=0, Nitrite= 0, Nitrate= 5, pH= 7, Temp= 78

No tank mates  

Live plants(in tank for 6+ months)

Feeding: 2x day with Hikari Bio- gold and bloodworms 1-2x/week

What I’ve tried: 3doses of Kanaplex in tank and 1 teaspoon of epsom salt in tank 2 days ago. I can’t catch her to put in a QT without stressing her to the max  

Any ideas?

8C8D2DAA-9586-46D3-B9DB-D129186E2599.jpeg

A709A2BF-9FAD-417A-8DB4-01D3D35E8C1D.jpeg

2E288B20-612D-4DD1-A058-DFD34B26EE7B.jpeg

Hi, poor bettas, always getting sick. If you really think she has dropsy you should be treating ASAP if there is any chance at all of recovery- or just continue treating the tank since she's the only one in there.  I can't tell from the pictures if she has the telltale pineconing. Are there any other signs or symptoms visible or otherwise?

If you think she might be constipated have you tried feeding bits of thawed frozen peas? That is a good method for clearing up constipation issues and can be looked up in a quick search for a betta.

I hope for you that's all it is but that's an awful long time not to eat and the white stringy poop is usually is a sign of a parasitic infection, Kanaplex does not treat that (but treats Dropsy). So it's a rough call. 

You might also try raising the temperature- I'm starting to think that Bettas definitely require the 80 degree range to be comfortable.

If she spiting food out and has White stringy poop it could be internal parasites I would treat with Fritz expel p it only requires 24 treatment then a water change and retreat in 2 weeks that way you can keep treating for dropsy if she developing pinecone I can't tell off your picture  if you have done 3 courses of kanaplex I would give her a rest before doing another course of kanaplex I would keep treating aquarium salt will help reduce any possible fluid buildup and kanaplex is a good antibiotic for treating polycystic kidney disease which is a common cause of dropsy

Edited by Colu

Is she showing the drive to eat, or not even trying. If shes trying, but spitting it out, I'd suggest either Levamisole, like Colu recommended. I'd also soak the meds into food, with Garlic Guard.  If you try another round of Kanaplex....I'd also try that in the food. I have found Kanaplex to work far better in food than just in the water column.

She’s not even trying to eat since Monday. I was able to catch her and put her in an rosin salt bath but she was so stressed(not in the bath but from the netting). She’s in her tank and I’m just going to keep her there. 

She definitely is pineconing. should I just add aquarium salt to her tank or epsom salt?  How often should I change the water?  I did an epsom salt bath yesterday but it was too stressful(netting not the actual bath). I’m going to keep her in her tank.  I have Kanaplex, Metroplex, Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Furan 2, ParaCleanse, General Cure and Triple Sulfa. What should I do to treat the dropsy?  I’ll add aquarium salt to her tank now. 

Thanks!!

I would just add aquarium salt directly to her tank 1 table spoon for 1 gallon that will help reduce the fluid buildup and  I would also do a combined treatment of kanaplex and furan2 together 

Edited by Colu

Update:  she’s still hanging in there. Swimming just a bit more. Eats 1 cut up frozen bloodworm/day. Still has pineconing and color loss. I’ve done: 1 round of Kanaplex alone; salt + Kanaplex + Furan2 (last dose was yesterday). I plan on giving her a rest for today. Should I put more salt in the tank?  Last water change was yesterday so I think most of the salt is gone. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I would redose the salt and  I would give her another course of kanaplex and furan2 as she eating a bit that's encouraging  if  after that your not seeing much improvement if she stops eating she might to far gone to recover 

Edited by Colu

• 2 weeks later...

She’s still hanging in there. Not sure what else to do. She had been eating cut up bloodworms but hasn’t eaten for 3 days.  She’s really pale and lethargic. I’ve used Kanaplex and Kanaplex + Furan 2 for more than 2 weeks. And I’ve dosed salt at 1 tsp/ gallon. Should I increase the salt dosage?  Or try another antibiotic?  

4165E824-B0D4-45CD-A14C-BF2915A879D5.jpeg

It's a difficult one if she stop eating that means she putting her effort into fighting of the infection. Or the organ damage might have gone to far  with dropsy once it gets to this stage usually don't recover you could try a course of metroplex as that treats anaerobic bacteria such as aeromonas.  Is a gram negative bacterial that can cause some cases of Dropsy at this stage chances of recovery are small

Puffy passed on Fri. She fought hard but the dropsy was too far gone. She had a growth on her face and I think it’s why she passed. She definitely will be missed.

I disinfected her tank with bleach, keeping the biofilter in a bucket with an air stone for 24 hrs. I ordered a new betta that will arrive next Tuesday. His tank is ready but since there’s no fish in it, do I need to “feed” the beneficial bacteria with ammonia for the next week or will it be ok until he arrives? Of course, I’ll check my parameters everyday. 
Thanks,

Lori

• Sad 1

Thanks so much for all of your help Colu!  I added about 4-5 pellets yesterday. They’re just sitting on my substrate. Do I just keep adding more? I’ve never done this before. Usually I cycle with ammonia, do a big water change and add fish. Sorry to be such a pest!

On 12/8/2021 at 8:36 PM, LoriG said:

Thanks so much for all of your help Colu!  I added about 4-5 pellets yesterday. They’re just sitting on my substrate. Do I just keep adding more? I’ve never done this before. Usually I cycle with ammonia, do a big water change and add fish. Sorry to be such a pest!

Yes as they break down they will start to cause a rise in ammonia feeding your benefial bacterial before you add fish just do a large water change and good gravel and you should be good to go

• 2 weeks later...

One of the eyes look swollen as it just in the one eye it's more than likely caused by an injury to the eye  I would add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons and increase water changes that will help speed up the healing process if after a week of increase water changes and salt your seeing no improvement then I would do a course of kanaplex in food 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png