New 20 gallon high, laser cory breeder?

Odd Duck

I did get some gold lasers at the local association auction on Sunday.  I’ll get a couple more and the group will go in the angelfish tank when it’s ready.  Then I’ll find a few more orange lasers to form a breeding group in the 20 high.  But I clearly need to boil the spawning mop or get one made of a different yarn.  And I won’t be starting with it in a tank with cories that cost $20.00 each.  Might try it in a tank with a few mutt guppies I got from a friend to eat Wolffia.  They are eating it, BTW.  It’s not gone yet, but it is knocked down far better than the surface skimmer did.

I had not seen this thread before. I read it from the beginning (no skimming). It’s so sad you lost them. I hope you find more or have found the right mix. and are able to spawn and grow them. 
(no skimming but I missed page 2 🤣)

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 11:48 PM, Odd Duck said:

I suspect the yarn in the homemade spawning mop may have had something toxic in it.

That sucks. I got my yarn from walmart. I had to look for the one that was specifically 100% nylon.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:45 AM, Odd Duck said:

I did get some gold lasers at the local association auction on Sunday.

Are you going to re-treat the whole tank again or run them through QT separately?

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/1/2022 at 1:55 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Are you going to re-treat the whole tank again or run them through QT separately?

They went into the QT tank with the angelfish, not this tank because I’ve got a couple orange lasers in here.  The new ones are just little guys, only about 2.5-3 months old.  Cories grow really fast in the first 3-4 months, then their growth rate slows.  The golds will also be going into the 100 G with the angels, the hatchets, and the super red plecos.  I’ll find a couple more gold lasers to expand their group.

I do start any QT over if I add fish later.  The entire tank gets out of QT when the last fish added gets done with QT.

Once all the plecos get done with QT, the 20 high tank will become a grow out for any remaining unsexed plecos (if any are still unsexed by then).  Any new orange lasers I find will go into a different QT for 30 days, then join their friends in this tank.  It will not be a QT after this group of fish, only a breeding group, hopefully.

• Like 1