Is it time to euthanize my fish?

beatlesfan317

My Betta has been handicapped and unable to swim for 18 days, but still eats pellets and frozen brine shrimp put right in front of him with an eye dropper, is it time to euthanize him? See the attached pictures.

The Betta is a year old and has swim bladder disorder and/or likely an internal injury. I put him in a breeder box and he literally cannot move other than flop on the bottom of the breeder box. He cannot swim at all or reach the surface of the water (about 3 inches high).

I've tried going 3 days without feeding him and he did not improve at all. He is not showing any pineconing or bloating. He is still eating but only surviving because I feed brine shrimp or soak Omega One pellets and literally put them right in front of his mouth with an eye dropper as he is stuck on the bottom. He cannot swim to get food. There is no sign of infection, parasites, or disease.

PH 7.6 (steady), Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates kept at or below 20, tank fully cycled for a year and is heated at 78 degrees.

Again it's been 18 days now. I don't know what else to do or if it is time to euthanize? Please advise.

11-11-21a.jpg

11-11-21b.jpg

• Sad 2

I can not answer fish questions with any degree of authority as I am just now getting back into the hobby after many, many years.

But, from a pet own perspective, we've had to make that same decision five times with our furry babies over the past ten years or so.

It's never easy, but our decision point has always been the quality of life our animals enjoy. Once that is degraded to the point it feels like we are letting them suffer needlessly, the kindest thing is let them go.

• Like 1

I understand why you are hesitant to euthanize a fish that you care about. It sounds as though you have done what can be done to help him, and euthanizing him might be the kindest alternative.

I have heard that clove oil is the best thing to use. There are some Youtube videos on how to euthanize a fish with clove oil.

• Like 1

If it's swim bladder that can be caused by constipation I would try epsom salt bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day for a couple of days as epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants some swim bladder problems can be caused by a bacterial infection if the epsom salts bath don't work you could do a course of kanaplex as it adsorbed thought the skin and gills so it's a good antibiotic treatment for when fish aren't eating well if you think he's suffering and you think there's little chance of improvement I would use Clove oil to euthanize him

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1