Update on 44g blackwater #2

Well.... I just can't keep the tannins, I'm almost 100% sure its the volcanic soil that is sucking up the tannins.  Maybe one day it will just explode and release it all.  

Anyways, just planted some more stuff I got ACO yesterday.  As soon as I can get to a place to fill my co2 tank I'm going to add that in as well.  I live in the middle of the woods and the closest place is like 45 mins.  

A little hazy, still waiting for the dust from the stratum to settle. 

IMG_5105.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 4:55 AM, anewbie said:

I'm curious what are the dimensions of that aquarium and is it stock or custom made ?

This is I believe 48 long by 18 deep and 12 high.  

I made it from a 75g we had in the basement.  Took it all apart and  just cut 8" off the top of the tank.  

On 11/6/2021 at 3:02 AM, Torrey said:

Yes, it's your lava rock removing your tannins.

I have no idea where the lava rock transports the tannins to, all I know is if I want clear water I use lava rock. 

If I want strong tannins, I don't. 🤷‍♂️

I was going to go with all stratum but then said let me save some money and did a 50/50 stratum and eco complete. oops lol 

• Thanks 2

On 11/6/2021 at 1:21 PM, anewbie said:

If this is blackwater aquarium; you probably want a *lot* of leaf litter in there.

I ended up taking it all out.  I had about 12 full size almond leaves 30 or so alder cones and plenty of oak roots that usually stain really well.  For me, blackwater looks best with all the little bits on the bottom, but it just kept going clear so i cleaned it all up as it just looked dirty without the dark water. 

This is about as dark as it would get then clear up within a few days 

IMG_5068.jpg.6b2d726128f0c09436da61930c6eb949.jpg

Edited by HotTunaCartel
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, anewbie said:

Yea the thing about leaf liter is if you add some dwarf cichlid like apistogramma hongsloi they like to hide under the stuff - so a bit depends on your fishes - guppies of course will never take advantage of leaf liter.

The guppies were to get rid of an infestation of mosquito larvae we had.  They destroyed them in about 5 days 

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 11:46 AM, HotTunaCartel said:

The guppies were to get rid of an infestation of mosquito larvae we had.  They destroyed them in about 5 days 

Endlers let a couple mosquitoes survive🙄

I have bites as testimony 🤣

• Like 1