Heating a no tech bowl?

Ponyoryx

Hi everyone, I spontaneously put together this no tech bowl last night because a friend of mine brought home some discounted aquarium plants that needed some TLC. II found this bowl at a thrift store for $3 and have been holding onto it for just this! I added some plants and snails from my other setups as well. I am assuming the volume of the water is ~2gal. I should have measured before filling the bowl ><

My plan is to keep this bowl strictly to rams horn snails (and maybe some shrimp once the bowl is more established, maybe a dwarf african frog??), but I'm worried about tank temperature. I live in New England, and I fear the water will reach temperatures in the high 50s-low 60s this coming winter. We try to minimally use our central heat because of gas costs in the winter here, so my room is usually around 58. I did install plastic window covers this year, so hopefully that helps!

Does this forum think a tank heater is 100% necessary in this set up? I would hate to add tech to this bowl if I can avoid it. I did order one on amazon today assuming the answer is yes, but I can always return it 😉

I do plan on adding some more stem plants since I did make it a dirted bottom, and any other suggestions/comments are welcome!!

Thanks!

heater: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9WNCJJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PXL_20211105_023846139 (1).jpg

• Love 2

On 11/5/2021 at 1:10 PM, Ponyoryx said:

Hi everyone, I spontaneously put together this no tech bowl last night because a friend of mine brought home some discounted aquarium plants that needed some TLC. II found this bowl at a thrift store for $3 and have been holding onto it for just this! I added some plants and snails from my other setups as well. I am assuming the volume of the water is ~2gal. I should have measured before filling the bowl ><

My plan is to keep this bowl strictly to rams horn snails (and maybe some shrimp once the bowl is more established, maybe a dwarf african frog??), but I'm worried about tank temperature. I live in New England, and I fear the water will reach temperatures in the high 50s-low 60s this coming winter. We try to minimally use our central heat because of gas costs in the winter here, so my room is usually around 58. I did install plastic window covers this year, so hopefully that helps!

Does this forum think a tank heater is 100% necessary in this set up? I would hate to add tech to this bowl if I can avoid it. I did order one on amazon today assuming the answer is yes, but I can always return it 😉

I do plan on adding some more stem plants since I did make it a dirted bottom, and any other suggestions/comments are welcome!!

Thanks!

heater: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9WNCJJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PXL_20211105_023846139 (1).jpg

I wouldn’t worry about a heater. Just select your stocking to match temperature, and all should be well. If you want to add a small bubbler, it will aerate the cool water more, allowing for appropriate fish to thrive.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 3