Substrate question???

mynameisnobody

Hello everyone, I’ve been on a journey to try to find the gravel that @Cory used in his aquariums. It looks like the perfect shade, as well as the perfect size. To this point, I’ve purchased 4 different types/shades of gravel, only to be disappointed. Whether it’s too large, too dark, too light, etc. Does anyone know the exact gravel he uses? Thank you kindly from a frustrated gravel purchaser. 😎

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, Manny said:

Hello everyone, I’ve been on a journey to try to find the gravel that @Cory used in his aquariums. It looks like the perfect shade, as well as the perfect size. To this point, I’ve purchased 4 different types/shades of gravel, only to be disappointed. Whether it’s too large, too dark, too light, etc. Does anyone know the exact gravel he uses? Thank you kindly from a frustrated gravel purchaser. 😎

Can you provide a photo of what you’re referring to?

Here’s another thread where I inquired about a brand of activated substrate, and Cory responded saying he planned to use it in 3x of his new tanks…

• Like 1

That photo from Manny looks like the tumbled gravel they have at PetSmart. You can sometimes find in at landscaping supply rock yards labeled as Sunset Mix agates. It comes in various graded sizes. Lighting and type of tank (type of glass vs acrylic) will affect the color of what your gravel looks like at home.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/5/2021 at 3:18 PM, Manny said:

@Mongo_like_fish Is it particular shade or size? I know supernaturals has sand, but I wasn’t aware they made gravel as well. 

It looks like Peace River to me. Peace River is larger than sand but much smaller than gravel, I have it in my 20L and love it. Their similarly colored Garnet Creek is larger pieces than Peace River and I didn't realize that as I was ordering online and didn't read the fine print, so I was disappointed. If you like the size in Cory's tank shown, Peace River would be the one.

• Thanks 1