Heaters and Inkbird Controllers

dmurray407

I know there is a lot of info on heaters here, but I couldn't find what I need to know. My current heater is getting kind of old so I want to start thinking about a new one. I've been reading that temps can be more accurate if you use a controller like Inkbird that has a separate thermometer probe. Do you just plug your heater(s) into the controller and it takes care of turning the heater off and on as needed? It looks like I can get a controller that will "control" 2 heaters so I might do it that way (I just watched Cory's video on using multiple smaller heaters instead of one larger one to improve heater life). I just wanted some input on this plan before I jump in.

Yes the Inkbird temperature controller plugs into the wall and then you plug your heaters into it.  The probe goes into the water you want to heat.

Its outlets are controlled based on the temperature you pick, if its probe detects a temperature lower than your setting it switches the outlets the heaters are plugged into to "ON"

The controller will turn the outlets "OFF" when the inkbird probe detects the temperature is at or above your set temp.

You will need to turn the dial on the heaters you plan on using to a higher set temp than the inkbird so they are always on when the inkbird turns their outlets "ON"

• Like 2

I have used inkbirds forever. I find them most effective used as a safety rather than actual control. The more each thing turns on and off the quicker it fails including the inkbird. The inkbird can be calibrated it is digital. To calibrate use a temp gun or other accurate devise to adjust up or down. All my inkbirds only ever have varied .2-.4 from my gun. I set the heater and then set the inkbird 1-2 degrees higher than my desired temp. I fiddle with the heater like normal until it holds the actual temp I want. If the heater malfunctions and begins overheating the inkbird kills the power and alerts me it’s time for a new heater. It also is a large digital display and I instantly see temp falling if the heater quits working at all. Hope this helps. I love my inkbirds and have them on all my tanks as in the past I have had heaters poach fish. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can you use the inkbird 306 as just a fail safe for a malfunctioning heater.  I’ve read on different places that it will not work as a fail safe and that the 306 has to control the heater.  What I was planning on doing is setting the inkbird 306 to 80 degrees and my heaters to 77 so that the power only gets cut if it starts over heating.  In reading some on inkbirds, one person said the 308 is better for this and the 306 cannot work that way.    Does anyone know if it’s true??  @Guppysnail  @s1_

. I have the NO WiFi one. I use them as fail safes only. They have always done great that way for me. I think the WiFi ones will not alert you and send the correct info if they are not the control factor. 

They are also the cheaper model so cost effective 

A3430888-97C6-4F00-A336-6E5FD5CFAABF.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
Add photo

The basic model can work as safeties better than the wifi.

In my experience the wifi model has an alarm that will start beeping if it heats for several hours without reaching the set temp. This can not be turned off, only set for a certain amount of time.

They market this as a feature that alerts you there is a problem with your heating element.

Edited by s1_