Feeding Fish to Fish: a heads-up

CalmedByFish

I wish I'd known...

I give my 1 angelfish a juvenile endler a couple times per week. The first time, to make sure I wouldn't be torturing the food fish, I watched. The angel gulped the endler fry, spat it out looking unconscious, instantly gulped it again, end of story. 

Since then, I haven't watched. I just notice when there aren't any food fish in the tank, then add 1-2. 

But today I gave the angel 1 half-grown endler, instead of a fry. Never again. The angel sucked it into his mouth, spat it back out clearly injured, and it swam (vibrating) to the other side of the tank and back. The angel noticed, and did the same thing again. That second time, the endler came out alive, but too hurt to swim. A few seconds later, the angel actually swallowed it. The process lasted 2-3 minutes.

Lesson learned: Watch.

If you're feeding live animals to other animals, watch to make sure it's happening in a way that isn't causing prolonged or unnecessary suffering. For me, that means the angel will never again be given live food larger than a nibble, so the eating will be "gulp, gone" instead of prolonged or painful. The guidelines might be different in your tanks, for you to meet the same goal. But regardless, it's a topic to pay attention to. I wish I had been.

• Like 1

30ish years ago in my early days of fish keeping I had an Oscar he was a good 10-12 inches. I was feeding him live feeder fish, every couple weeks I’d go buy 50-100 feeders and dump them all in his tank. He would go insane gording himself 5-6 immediately next thing you know he’d have 10-12 in his mouth. Tails and gasping feeders hanging out his mouth. I remember thinking it’s just nature it’s what would happen in the wild. 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:14 PM, CalmedByFish said:

If you're feeding live animals to other animals, watch to make sure it's happening in a way that isn't causing prolonged or unnecessary suffering

Moral to this story: even if this would happen in nature there was no reason for it to happen in my tank. I easily could/ should have been responsible enough to not make them suffer. 1-5 feeders a day or something would have been much more ethical IMO.

I do not feed feeders anymore, not that I’m opposed to it they would just be grown by me not bought at fish stores. @CalmedByFishim sorry you had to see that it sounds like it was somewhat traumatic. I can’t stand to see anything suffer either and wouldn’t want to put any animal through that type of experience.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 10:24 PM, Atitagain said:

Moral to this story: even if this would happen in nature there was no reason for it to happen in my tank. I easily could/ should have been responsible enough to not make them suffer.

That gets to the point well. You're exactly right.

And thanks for the empathy towards this human, too. That's kind of you.

• Like 1