Hello from the Ozarks

Aubrey

17 hours ago, Pknsmasher said:

Hello, I am also close to this area, just across the state line in MO, currently. I've been to Aquapets myself. I currently have and raise Bloody Mary shrimp, Sunkist, have a huge colony of Blue dreams, and am currently taking a crack at Amanos and Red Racer Nerite snails. Anyone with suggestions on the last two are welcome to offer suggestions. Thanks and nice meeting you.

I found one shop in Springfield called " Aquarium Shoppe" , even a chain store called " Petsway" that had some nice driftwood, and java moss, they said it was from a local breeder, then told me it was the owner.

On 12/12/2020 at 2:14 PM, Oriole Lyric said:

I prefer salt treatments over meds.

I don't salt dip my betta, I just dose the tank for a week.

One of my bettas is in a 2.5gal, because any bigger and he stops swimming and eating. I think it partially blind.

According to the betta group I'm in, I "promote bad betta keeping habits" when I help others who have bad setups, by suggesting gradual upgrades or diys especially to people who are younger than I am, and trying hard, and cannot drive yet or get paid for chores and not say they have to have all the right equipment now.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:20 PM, Fish Folk said:

So...  questions for supr nerms on the forum:

What’s the deal with “aging water”? Is it to let chloramine gas off? Stabilize pH? Rest so that gasses can surface? 

Confession... we don’t “age” or “rest” our water before doing water changes. We’re pretty consistent with changing our water on most tanks. Not sure we’ve ever had problems. 

But I’m trying to learm, so bring on the nerm! 

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Aqua pets over the weekend. Great selection of aquascape products. I asked about Subwassertang, there was some that looked great, but the owner told me he was watching it because he thought it may have come in with planaria. Honest dude there. I ended up with a black ghost and some baby angels, and called it a day. 

I did not. I went in, and would like to have spent more time, but it got busy very quickly. Some days it's fairly slow, I think the weather caused everyone to visit Saturday. I actually wanted to spend some time poking through all the rock, but decided to chase it down another day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/11/2021 at 10:48 PM, Pknsmasher said:

I was at this swap meet. There is another tomorrow and Sunday in Joplin. The shop is called " Scales and Tails," that is fairly new.

did you have a table? I got some very nice shrimp sadly I can only find 3 of 10 

I did not have a table, I've never been to an event like that before, it wasn't quite what I expected. Do you have a particular color/type of shrimp you are looking for? I have started a species only tank of N class endlers from Venezuela. Most people only see endlers as a feeder guppy because they have been hybridized with common guppies. I wanted a pure strain, and am waiting on babies to color up at the minute. I also have a half dozen pea puffers in a separate tank that are little beggars. I have one big community tank, but mostly separate shrimp colonies.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:57 AM, Pknsmasher said:

I did not have a table, I've never been to an event like that before, it wasn't quite what I expected. Do you have a particular color/type of shrimp you are looking for? I have started a species only tank of N class endlers from Venezuela. Most people only see endlers as a feeder guppy because they have been hybridized with common guppies. I wanted a pure strain, and am waiting on babies to color up at the minute. I also have a half dozen pea puffers in a separate tank that are little beggars. I have one big community tank, but mostly separate shrimp colonies.

yeah I want cherry shrimp, I will probably order 10-20 from flip aquatics I have heard they are amazing(I'm not sure)

Cherries come in various grades. I have several fire grade. A separate red rili colony. Proudest of the bloody mary grade though, but it is a fairly new colony. Flip does a good job and I've recently started a jade green colony ordered from flip. We seem to be in the same places, sometimes at the same time. When I'm not totally buried with work and life, I would happily give you some of the cherries, you can't beat getting something that is raised in local water. 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, Pknsmasher said:

Cherries come in various grades. I have several fire grade. A separate red rili colony. Proudest of the bloody mary grade though, but it is a fairly new colony. Flip does a good job and I've recently started a jade green colony ordered from flip. We seem to be in the same places, sometimes at the same time. When I'm not totally buried with work and life, I would happily give you some of the cherries, you can't beat getting something that is raised in local water. 

I was feeding the fish and I found 5. I think 1 was a male so I am going to wait and see if they breed