Endler Fin with New Separation

John Zoidberg

So i found my favorite Endler today with a separation in his fin, its the big guy in the middle of the image. I only have 4 Endlers in a 10 gallon newly cycled tank. I did not want to over stock and crash my cycle so i went a light on the stocking initially. I was planning on getting more Endlers this weekend and putting them into quarantine. The other 3 Endlers do seem to follow and bug this fish the most. It never really looks violent to me but I'm also not staring at the tank all day. It does apear that they are picking on him more today than previous days. So what would be the best course of action? Would it be better to add more fish to reduce the bullying? I trust my LFS has good stock and healthy fish but I've only bought these 4 so i dont have a lot of data. These 4 have been healthy and shown no signs of disease. I have had them since October 12 so I've had them for 17 days. Thoughts?

image.png.87ceb21d4361877cde4d5679947dec53.png

Endlers are like guppies. The boys will dominance display and chase all day. I have it in my fraternity grow outs but have never seen violence only the occasional split in the tail like you have. It heals rapidly keep your water clean and fresh. I do recommend adding more after quarantine to spread the activity out amongst them so none get unduly targeted. Quarantine no matter how much you trust an lfs. Not because of the lfs but because stress /moving them to new homes lowers their immune system.  It gives them a chance to settle in before and strengthen up before finding their positions in the hierarchy of your tank. Many things live in our tanks that never impact a fish until it’s immune system is weakened. Be kind to them by quarantining 😁 to allow their immune system to beef up. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo
  • Like 3

On 10/29/2021 at 11:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

Endlers are like guppies. The boys will dominance display and chase all day. I have it in my fraternity grow outs but have never seen violence only the occasional split in the tail like you have. It heals rapidly keep your water clean and fresh. I do recommend adding more after quarantine to spread the activity out amongst them so none get unduly targeted. Quarantine no matter how much you trust an lfs. Not because of the lfs but because stress /moving them to new homes lowers their immune system.  It gives them a chance to settle in before and strengthen up before finding their positions in the hierarchy of your tank. Many things live in our tanks that never impact a fish until it’s immune system is weakened. Be kind to them by quarantining 😁 to allow their immune system to beef up. 

Thank you so much. You have put my mind at ease. I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 12:45 PM, lefty o said:

with guppy's/endlers, the bigger and fancier the tail, the more likely it will become damaged. it is just the nature of the beast.

Thanks. Still learning about the Endler/Guppies. I just wanted to ensure that it was not something that needed to be treated and could lead to fin rot or something like that. Thanks for the education. 👍

On 10/30/2021 at 12:00 AM, CalmedByFish said:

This doesn't answer your question at all, but it's interesting.

I think that one is actually all guppy or mostly guppy. The tail is too big in proportion to the body for it to be only endler. 

The one straight above it looks all or mostly endler though, based on coloring.

Yeah im pretty sure they're hybrids, which dont bother me one bit. Does hybrids in fish act the same as mutts in does where they tend to be more hearty and healthier than purebreds?

On 11/1/2021 at 12:00 PM, John Zoidberg said:

Yeah im pretty sure they're hybrids, which dont bother me one bit. Does hybrids in fish act the same as mutts in does where they tend to be more hearty and healthier than purebreds?

quite often mutt guppies are hardier than pure bred strains are.

• Like 2