Wisteria questions

It looks like you planted it in clumps, which is probably how you bought it.  You can separate them and plant single stems if you want.  One plant can turn into five or six that way.

Also, when it gets more height you can cut off the top portion and plant it in the substrate to make a new plant.  The cut off portion will usually sprout two new stems

• Like 1

Hygrophila difformis, AKA Water wisteria branches extensively. You can cut each branch and plant them 4 inches apart and they will grow, as they grow the leaves will overlap but will not deter growth of it's neighbor, but when it reaches the surface, it will need to be pruned or it will block the light to other plants. This is one of my favorite background plants because 1) This plant grows tall 2) The overlapping leaves give fish a place to hide, 3) This plant is a great oxygenator, and 4) This plant just looks so good.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 10:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you want it to quickly deplete excess nutrients keep the upper leaves above the waterline. Wisteria will grow like mad that way. I used to grow it 1/2 submerged and the rest emerged out the back. I switched to pothos out the back because I like the pothos look. 

My Wisteria has emerged above the water line this week and the leaf tips are drying out.  Can I expect an emersed leaf to form or is there something else I should be doing?

On 11/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, Tanked said:

My Wisteria has emerged above the water line this week and the leaf tips are drying out.  Can I expect an emersed leaf to form or is there something else I should be doing?

@Tanked I keep my tanks at 77 with tight fitting glass lids that keep it excessively humid between the water line and lid. I’ve never experienced drying out. The times I grew it up out of the back it was summer and humid. I’ve never had it dry out. I would submerge it just below the water line. Cut just below where the new roots are showing and you will have 2 plants. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:02 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Tanked I keep my tanks at 77 with tight fitting glass lids that keep it excessively humid between the water line and lid. I’ve never experienced drying out. The times I grew it up out of the back it was summer and humid. I’ve never had it dry out. I would submerge it just below the water line. Cut just below where the new roots are showing and you will have 2 plants. 

@Guppysnail My house is cold (60), dark and dry in the winter so this plant has little chance of surviving once it grows above the light. I think that I have read about folks getting Wisteria to bloom, but I have never read about the leaf tips drying out.  That said,  I was planning on trimming it anyway, because I believe it has adapted to my water, and I can now begin returning it to the tanks where it would not grow before..