Crypt Melt Defeated?

Ken

I did an experiment with some new plants. They were bought local and were really sad, I figured the crypts were dead. I wasn't able to get some wet hands time right then so they had to hang out in a bucket for most of a week, by then they were seriously dead. I finally had time to put them in my newest tank. I figured the worst that could happen is they would provide ammonia for the cycle so I planted them. Sand substrate from the hill above the house a root tab each and a triple dose of EZ Green liquid.

I put set the Kasa plug for 4 hours on 4 hours off based on posts by @Streetwise. I ran it like that for several weeks. The crypts recovered!? The other plants act like they have lived there forever.

YMMV. But I think for a plant only cycle turning the light off and on every 4 hours might be worth trying.

1492425507_crypt1.jpg.12d73ecebdf1d0936040aa1b08b2f7f7.jpg325985504_crypt2.jpg.fe10e5a214fbf8d6bb83248348d10b3a.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/25/2021 at 8:46 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve had them melt occasionally moving from one tank to another, but usually that melt is minimal compared to melt after shipping, or from someone else’s tank, even if local.

These were already melted by time I put them in the tank. I was attributing the recovery to the light cycle, and lots of ferts.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:57 AM, Patrick_G said:

Are those Wendetii? 

I think so. The LFS I where I got them is brand new to fresh water, didn't know which crypts were which and figured they were pretty much dead. So did I, but thought what the heck the price is right, he threw in 7 of them for a buck. The rest of the plants I bought from him looked great and are doing well.

Edited by Ken
can't type
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2021 at 8:10 PM, Ken said:

I think so. The LFS I where I got them is brand new to fresh water, didn't know which crypts were which and figured they were pretty much dead. So did I, but thought what the heck the price is right, he threw in 7 of them for a buck. The rest of the plants I bought from him looked great and are doing well.

That’s a deal! I think they’re Wendtii but they might be Hudori. Mine seem to be really hardy with no melt at all. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:10 PM, Ken said:

cant beat 7 for a buck, even if 6 dont make it, still a deal.

• Like 2