Underwater millipede??

Emma

I found what I’m pretty darn sure is a millipede in my tank. Is this a thing? Should I be concerned?? 🤔

It’s roughly an inch long and it’s hard to see but it does appear to have two pairs of legs per segment so I’m fairly certain it’s a millipede. 

B2ED6BEA-F1FC-421D-87E0-D527BE54631D.jpeg

2A6881AF-5F2F-43D0-A082-E884C5288226.jpeg

9A5DB874-A092-48C8-AD51-C1BB8E4AB1D9.jpeg

I had one (that looked very like yours but who knows) when I was much younger and collected stuff from the creek. It was pre computers so I never knew what it was. I just googled and found a name but not a whole lot of info (I didn’t look to hard though I was just curious. @Biotope Biologist would know.  Possibly uroblaniulus carolinensis.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone! I'm in California. Since I have no idea how it even got in my tank, I euthanized. If it is uroblaniulus carolinensis I don't think they're found around here, or at least a quick google didn't confirm those are in my area. It was hanging out on my marimo, and certainly quite a surprise.

I have put some aspen cones in my tank recently, maybe that's where it came from. But I did boil them first!

• Like 1