Did I make a OB mbuna???

Kyle murfitt

On 10/13/2021 at 3:24 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

20211013_125231.jpg.a4a10a6820b5377d1042f97dd3f90b90.jpg20211013_125130.jpg.9aa5e040584ceadd0499aaa2bc6acbc3.jpgMy runt of the litter has a black Mohawk, think he'll be an ob or just going to have a black back on him??

Once you cross them, they shoot out all sorts of colors. Probably not technically a true OB.

Has it always presented black, or only recently? It could be a young male “bearding.”

On 10/13/2021 at 3:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

Once you cross them, they shoot out all sorts of colors. Probably not technically a true OB.

Has it always presented black, or only recently? It could be a young male “bearding.”

Yep since he or she was rice sized it had black down its back. Mom is a yellow lab and dad is an orange zebra so there's a few oddball colors in the batch of babies 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

Yep since he or she was rice sized it had black down its back. Mom is a yellow lab and dad is an orange zebra so there's a few oddball colors in the batch of babies 

Yep. That’s a common cross. Not an OB, and depending on your African Cichlid community, generally not sought out. We got disqualified for submitting this pairing for BAP…

But it was fun! And my LFS wanted them.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 5:13 PM, Zenzo said:

Could be an OB. Or, it could be some genetic coloration variation. What other mbuna do you have in the tank? 

Mom is a yellow lab and dad is a orange/red zebra . Only breeders I've seen in my tank . but there's also red top cobalt, blue dolphin, and yellow tail acei

On 10/13/2021 at 4:23 PM, Fish Folk said:

Yep. That’s a common cross. Not an OB, and depending on your African Cichlid community, generally not sought out. We got disqualified for submitting this pairing for BAP…

But it was fun! And my LFS wanted them.

Love the videos! My 5 year old daughter is my water testing buddy lol.   I'd love to have some breed specific stuff going , maybe in the future when I get more tanks 

Edited by Kyle murfitt

• Administrators
On 10/13/2021 at 3:23 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

Mom is a yellow lab and dad is a orange/red zebra . Only breeders I've seen in my tank . but there's also red top cobalt, blue dolphin, and yellow tail acei

Well, if they are part zebra and part yellow lab, I would say that the dark coloration is some form of OB showing. Very likely that either of the parents have something mixed in them too. Cool little fish though! 

On 10/13/2021 at 5:32 PM, Zenzo said:

Well, if they are part zebra and part yellow lab, I would say that the dark coloration is some form of OB showing. Very likely that either of the parents have something mixed in them too. Cool little fish though! 

Sweeeeeet.  Thanks for the info , and digging your gym and fishroom setup!

• Like 2