Fin Rot?

William Lynch

Hi all,

Just got in a shipment of panda corys from aqua huna and put them straight into quarantine. All look good despite one DOA and this one with a shorter/non existent caudal (tail) fin. Is does this look like it could be fin rot or something else. If so should the next course of action be to separate him from the rest of the group asap? 

I should mention that they have been started on the quarantine trio as well. I've also added some pictures of the presumably ill fish and the normal fish in contrast.IMG_1890.jpg.8e5101a3319540053ea424bd26c9dbd1.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg.eff5a41309add7ed6c350c016ef9100e.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg.1cd1f48112cb50095c99f3b7494f1d36.jpg

Water Parameters 

Temp. 76 F

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0 

GH 250

KH 70

pH 7.2

Chlorine 0

Ammonia 0

On 10/7/2021 at 9:13 PM, James Black said:

I would leave him but keep an eye on it. I doubt its finrot, but defentley keep an eye on it. If it gets worse treat with a anti-bacterial infection medication like Maracyn, Salt, API Melafix. The Med Trio is a great way to start for right now.

Thanks for your reply. I will continue to monitor the situation and see how it progresses 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 1:10 PM, William Lynch said:

Ok thanks a lot. I had an issue with fin rot recently that I didn't catch until it was too late. Now I guess I'm Just a little paranoid. could it just be a deformation?

It looks like it cut it fin with the straight edge 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:25 AM, Colu said:

It looks like it cut it fin with the straight edge 

just got back from work and he was floating at the top of tank on his side. Thought he was dead so I gave him and little poke just to make sure and he sprang back to life and swam away.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:16 PM, Colu said:

If he's getting weaker I would do a full course of maracyn just to be on the safe side

Ok so he is currently in quarantine with 4 other corys all on the quarantine trio. Should I pull him out now and just treat him with maracyn on his own as the box suggests or wait until the week is up then complete the treatment. (this coming thursday).