How did I do

Helan

On 10/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, Helan said:

I used fishing wire to hopefully prevent snails from. Breaking it

I’ve tied stuff on before with no issues.  This was a new brand of thread, so I don’t know it it was yummy or it’s just because it was thinner thread, but they sure have gone after it.  It’s cotton thread since I want it to rot fairly soon, but I was hoping for about a month, not for a few days!  😆 😝  

I've read about people’s fish getting caught and injured with fishing line, which is why I always use cotton thread.  So far the moss is staying put, but I’m not going to try to pick the cut threads off yet.  That seems destined to loosen the moss.  I’ll give it at least a couple more weeks and try removing some.  If it loosens moss, then the puffers get to wait longer before they upgrade.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:34 PM, Helan said:

I heard that after a while the roots would be strong enough that I can remove the wires , is that so?

Yes.  Takes a while, though, depending on the plant.  That big Anubias is likely to be fairly quick if it’s already acclimated to your tank.  Longer if it’s new to you.  Can take 2-3 months.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yes.  Takes a while, though, depending on the plant.  That big Anubias is likely to be fairly quick if it’s already acclimated to your tank.  Longer if it’s new to you.  Can take 2-3 months.

And I can’t do anything to speed it up?

@Helanunderstandable on the fear part - we’ve all started as very paranoid fish keepers in some regard but just know that cryoacrylate super glue is really useful for aquaria. Also great job with tying it on the hardscape! It’s more a matter of if the roots grip onto the hard scape which is not always guaranteed- they tend to do what they want. The more small nooks and crannies they have to grow into the more likely it is to work. 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:38 PM, Helan said:

And I can’t do anything to speed it up?

Keep the plant healthy and happy.  I’ve had them grip in 2 weeks, I’ve had them come loose after 2 months.  They tend to grip into wood best, rough rocks next (like lava rock or dragon stone), smooth rocks, well . . . . I’ll let you know when that happens.  Let’s just say I’ve stopped trying with smooth rocks.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Helanunderstandable on the fear part - we’ve all started as very paranoid fish keepers in some regard but just know that cryoacrylate super glue is really useful for aquaria. Also great job with tying it on the hardscape! It’s more a matter of if the roots grip onto the hard scape which is not always guaranteed- they tend to do what they want. The more small nooks and crannies they have to grow into the more likely it is to work. 

Thanks, it’s one lava rock so it should have more than enough nooks

Only thing that can speed up anubias is ferts and CO2. They are very slow growing. When comfortable maybe a leaf every 1-4 weeks in a highly successful low tech setup. The bigger ones tend to be more forgiving as @Odd Duckmentioned. Rarer species like white, pinto and also some bucephelandra types are really more suited to co2 setups. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Only thing that can speed up anubias is ferts and CO2. They are very slow growing. When comfortable maybe a leaf every 1-4 weeks in a highly successful low tech setup. The bigger ones tend to be more forgiving as @Odd Duckmentioned. Rarer species like white, pinto and also some bucephelandra types are really more suited to co2 setups. 

I plant to have a Low tech setup, maybe just lights and a simple sponge filter 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:44 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I have a couple Pintos on a petrified wood in my “Volcano” tank.  They’re stuck pretty good and seem to be anchoring well.  There’s lots of crevices in that rock, too.  The plants are showing pretty slow (make that glacially slow) growth and have decent but not impressive color.  Wouldn’t buy it again, but I do like what I have.

First pic from July 1, second pic from August 18.  I could have sworn I’d taken a more recent pic.  I guess I need to get that done!  I need to update that tank since I’ve removed some plants, moved some, etc.

538BBF79-73DB-44C8-951B-2A387520422E.jpeg

419E5C47-5BD6-4178-A6BD-3F2845C0D634.jpeg

• Love 3

On 10/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, Odd Duck said:

I have a couple Pintos on a petrified wood in my “Volcano” tank.  They’re stuck pretty good and seem to be anchoring well.  There’s lots of crevices in that rock, too.  The plants are showing pretty slow (make that glacially slow) growth and have decent but not impressive color.  Wouldn’t buy it again, but I do like what I have.

First pic from July 1, second pic from August 18.  I could have sworn I’d taken a more recent pic.  I guess I need to get that done!  I need to update that tank since I’ve removed some plants, moved some, etc.

538BBF79-73DB-44C8-951B-2A387520422E.jpeg

419E5C47-5BD6-4178-A6BD-3F2845C0D634.jpeg

What a pretty betta ,I managed to get a breeder to hold this one for me , thoughts?

AF16D1CD-FD45-40AE-BE28-13D91D869BD0.jpeg

Edited by Helan
  • Love 2

On 10/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, James Black said:

The first time I used superglue for my anubias, I got it all over the rhizome, the wood and my hands. It was a mess.

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one who had a bit of a learning curve with the super glue. 

• Haha 2