Can you cut/split up Amazon Swords?

We'll be getting another 10 gallon tank for (sigh) more guppies soon, and I'm trying to trim cost by sharing plants. My 3 gallon cube has 2 Amazon swords that are really getting super bushy and full.   My question is can an Amazon sword be cut and split into 2 or more plants?   I honestly don't know too much about rooted plants, as I've just kinda root tabbed them and let em go. 
I've got other things to use as well, but I'd love to kill two birds with one stone. 

Thanks!

On 10/2/2021 at 12:03 PM, Guppysnail said:

Yes. Cut in the center of roots and crow bottom up. Take care to not cut bottom of leaves. 😁

Or wait very patiently for runners that I NEVER get

After the cut if placing in QT do you let the plant just feed from water column? Knowing you have mostly bare bottom or very little substrate How do you deal with rooted plants in your tanks?

On 10/2/2021 at 7:36 PM, Atitagain said:

After the cut if placing in QT do you let the plant just feed from water column? Knowing you have mostly bare bottom or very little substrate How do you deal with rooted plants in your tanks?

Same way as everything 

glue them to something, plant weight and let sit on the glass floor suction cup to walls tie to wood. Here is what I have learned of aquatic plants. All fertz minerals etc must dissolve into water for plants to take them in. The plant does not care if it’s water in the water column or in the substrate.  As long as it is there. 🤷‍♀️

947D164B-7A31-4762-9A84-5D8167B26FF9.jpeg

834393BD-4DDB-4F58-96E3-7100004F50DB.jpeg

26B61E5D-E80F-4477-81A4-11C06BAF5FB8.jpeg

8F8DB158-05B8-4E18-977C-1DD6AFB3038C.jpeg

B9CCD39E-0872-4000-9B97-B1C94C7B9415.jpeg

Do not cut until it is completely adjusted to your water and giving decent new growth

Nothing in this tank even touches substrate

CEBE5E90-4551-4EED-B2A7-DE6FC3B64E26.jpeg

On 10/2/2021 at 8:51 PM, Atitagain said:

@Guppysnail

This helps a lot 

I just cut my first one, that’s a hard cut any pointers? I have 4 to go!

thank you @GameCzarfor bringing this up it gave me motivation to try this.

If you separate the roots you will see sort of a center under the crown. Try and sort root to each side they seem like they belong on. Sort leaves the same way so you are really only cutting through the center of the crown. If these are brand new wait to cut until they adjust to your water and send new growth. If not go for it. Some leaves will die back. Cut them at the base as they start to look poorly so the plant can focus on new growth. Good luck let me know how it goes

On 10/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you separate the roots you will see sort of a center under the crown. Try and sort root to each side they seem like they belong on. Sort leaves the same way so you are really only cutting through the center of the crown. If these are brand new wait to cut until they adjust to your water and send new growth. If not go for it. Some leaves will die back. Cut them at the base as they start to look poorly so the plant can focus on new growth. Good luck let me know how it goes

These all have been in my tanks 6+ Months

• Like 1