Venustus Struggling

Ipwnufools

My venustus was breathing heavy in my main tank last week. Put him in qt right away and had salt and the med trio in there. Nothing has improved. Just did first water change and added higher dosage of salt but no meds yet. He looks to be getting worse as he is just laying on the bottom today. Idk if I should try to do a dip treatment of some kind. I have ich x I could use but I’m not sure of the amount. I want to save him but it’s not looking good. Parameters ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 in main tank

10 nitrates in qt tank. Any help would be awesome!

• Administrators

How long have you had your Venustus? You said male, so I am assuming he's large and colored? What other fish do you have him with? My experience with Africans is that 9/10 times (if the water parameters are good), it's from aggression. Even if you don't see any visible signs on him, he could have been rammed by another fish or chased to exhaustion. I am assuming that you have adequate flow/surface agitation and that it isn't an O2 issue?

As far as Ich-X, I don't think you need to use it at this point unless you see ich on him. The dosage is on the bottle (5ml per 10 gallons). 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, Ipwnufools said:

My venustus was breathing heavy in my main tank last week. Put him in qt right away and had salt and the med trio in there. Nothing has improved. Just did first water change and added higher dosage of salt but no meds yet. He looks to be getting worse as he is just laying on the bottom today. Idk if I should try to do a dip treatment of some kind. I have ich x I could use but I’m not sure of the amount. I want to save him but it’s not looking good. Parameters ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 in main tank

10 nitrates in qt tank. Any help would be awesome!

On 9/29/2021 at 3:57 PM, Zenzo said:

How long have you had your Venustus? You said male, so I am assuming he's large and colored? What other fish do you have him with? My experience with Africans is that 9/10 times (if the water parameters are good), it's from aggression. Even if you don't see any visible signs on him, he could have been rammed by another fish or chased to exhaustion. I am assuming that you have adequate flow/surface agitation and that it isn't an O2 issue?

As far as Ich-X, I don't think you need to use it at this point unless you see ich on him. The dosage is on the bottle (5ml per 10 gallons). 

Thanks I’m so lost on what it could have been he was one of the bigger males in the tank about 6 inches all of my fish are Juvies growing up. I caught it so early at first sight of him heavy breathing I knew it wasn’t normal. Figured the med trio and salt would work just not this time. He’s laying on his side now and I’m pretty sure he’s done for. 

• Sad 1

• Administrators

I am very sorry to hear that he is not doing well. Hopefully a little rest will do him wonders. I have brought some of my African cichlids back from certain death before by having them in a QT tank for a few weeks. Once, I was sure that one was not going to make it. Then, all of a sudden he returned to health and lived another year or two.

I hope that it works out. 

On 9/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, Zenzo said:

I am very sorry to hear that he is not doing well. Hopefully a little rest will do him wonders. I have brought some of my African cichlids back from certain death before by having them in a QT tank for a few weeks. Once, I was sure that one was not going to make it. Then, all of a sudden he returned to health and lived another year or two.

I hope that it works out. 

Thank you so much. Made me feel better

• Like 1

treat with salt for as it will improve gill function and add essential electrolytes to help reduce stress heavy breathing can be gill flukes or bacterial gill infection how long have you had them and did you treat him for parasites before adding to your main tank