Insurance

KristinaC

Probably not helpful but when I purchased my home 21 years ago the insurance agent from State Farm specifically asked about aquariums.  I said how much will it be if I “decide I ever want one 🙃” would have DOUBLED my premium so I fibbed and said I was not interested in aquariums.  Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 I never cause major damage. 

• Haha 3

On 9/29/2021 at 7:52 AM, Guppysnail said:

Probably not helpful but when I purchased my home 21 years ago the insurance agent from State Farm specifically asked about aquariums.  I said how much will it be if I “decide I ever want one 🙃” would have DOUBLED my premium so I fibbed and said I was not interested in aquariums.  Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 I never cause major damage. 

Yeah I figured! My husband is insisting, before I get a 55 gallon to get some sort of coverage. 

On 9/29/2021 at 6:04 AM, KristinaC said:

Yeah I figured! My husband is insisting, before I get a 55 gallon to get some sort of coverage. 

Shop around. The rider for water damage on my lemonaide coverage only increased my monthly premium by $5, so definitely worth it. 

• Love 1

Depending on the cost of the tank(s) you want, and the cost of the insurance, you might save money by getting custom-made tank(s) that can't possibly break, and then no insurance would be needed. 

Unless you're among the people who runs a garden hose through the window. 😂 I've never heard of a foolproof way to do that. But if we're just talking about the tanks themselves leaking or full-on busting...

• Haha 1

I haven't got insurance for my tanks but after returning from a holiday to wet carpets and dead fish I rang them just to see. I was covered for escape of water and that policy did not specify what the water had to escape from so that got my carpets replaced. Since then I have added accidental damage to my policy's which should provide a bit more protection.  I admit I had a very helpful assessor who made it easier to claim, my distress was probably quite evident over the phone. 

• Like 2