Doubts about the effectiveness of my Aquis 1250 Series II canister filter

Chris45

My pre-filter was clogged so I removed it, and when I did the filter started making a rattling noise as it began moving water again.

I pulled it apart and did a clean - the first one in about 6 weeks.  Not sure what was causing the rattle, but it seemed back to normal once I put it back together and turned it on. 

What I've been noticing when I take it apart is that the lowest tray, which has 3 sponges, is that there is always a decent amount of sediment on top of the top sponge, the fine sponge. This makes me think that the water is not moving through the sponges and it would have not allowed any sediment to settle there due to the movement of the water.

I feel like the flow of water is taking the path of least resistance by flowing through the pretty significant gaps between the trays and the panels of the filter housing. The filter is a pretty large diameter with a couple of millimeters all the way aorund. It seems that would allow for a pretty decent flow of water. If that is the case, it would be bypassing the trays and straight out the top and back into the tank, and rendering the media largely useless.

The trays themselves feel pretty flimsy and bendy, so you need to be very careful putting the trays back so they line up perfectly. It's very easy for them to sit on top of the other trays wonky and not lined up.

The nitrates are always over 20 despite having heaps of media designed to deal with nitrates and also what I'd say is a pretty heavily planted tank.

Is water bypass a thing or am I just being paranoid??

Fine sponge is designed to catch the very fine particles I have fluval 307 and fine pad is always covered in sediment i would recommend changing it more often than 6 weeks if your finding the flow dropping off I replaced main ever 6 weeks for optimal flow it all depends on the filter I am not familiar with that brand of filter

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 7:46 AM, Colu said:

Fine sponge is designed to catch the very fine particles I have fluval 307 and fine pad is always covered in sediment i would recommend changing it more often than 6 weeks if your finding the flow dropping off I replaced main ever 6 weeks for optimal flow it all depends on the filter I am not familiar with that brand of filter

Yeah I understand the theory that the fine sponge is to catch the particles, however I would expect that those particles would be caught at the entry side of the sponge or inside the sponge and not on the exit side of the sponge. The entry side of the sponge has no sediment or particles. This doesn't support the idea that the water is travelling through the sponge in the way it's designed to.

Another reason I feel the water is bypassing the trays is the quality of the water column inside the tank. What I mean by that is without a prefilter on the intake the water is not clear, despite there being 3 sponges in the filter that the water is meant to pass through. Once I put the prefilter on the intake, the water became crystal clear overnight. There is no way that the water can bypass the prefilter and is therefore mechanically filtered and produces clear water.