Hair algae tangles everywhere

So, I have a bunch of hair algae in my tank, most of it is intertwined with my guppy grass, java moss, and even the water lettuce roots.  I've tried hand removal, and the combined might of my bristlenose pleco, 4 amano shrimp and an army of ramshorn snails have barely put a dent in it.  Should I try using something like Tetra Algae Control (after moving the shrimp and snails to another tank) or is there something that actually eats it?

When I get hair algae I typically remove it with a fork. I've found over time that just winding it around a fork (like some people eat spaghetti) is the most efficient way to get rid of the stuff. Now, with it woven into your plants that's a no go for you, but if you find any that's not woven into the plants, a fork is a good option for hair algae removal. Just stab the fork into it and start spinning the fork and you'll end up with a ball of hair algae on the fork.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:02 AM, gardenman said:

Now, with it woven into your plants that's a no go for you, but if you find any that's not woven into the plants, a fork is a good option for hair algae removal.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:30 AM, NetBelleAnie said:

So, I have a bunch of hair algae in my tank, most of it is intertwined with my guppy grass, java moss, and even the water lettuce roots.

When it gets out of control in a couple of my tanks (like yours, it seems to thrive in my marino moss ball tanks🤔) I fill up a 5 cc infant medicine syringe with H2O2, turn off all water movement (filters and aeration), and squirt the algae with the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).

I don't use more than 1 cc per 2 gallons of water. 

After 15 minutes, I turn my filters and aeration back on.

This has turned BBA, hair algae and staghorn algae white. The algae also gets softer, and the clean up crew takes care of the rest.

This does not work on cyanobacteria, in my experience (aka 'blue green algae').

On 9/29/2021 at 6:06 AM, ARMYVET said:

Thats because Cyano is an alien creature that cannot be killed with conventional weapons.....Nuclear is the only option!💣💥🔥

🧨🔥+💦=⛈ and an unhappy spouse. I think I need to find another option 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3