Air pump question...

Gideyon

I recently purchased my first air pump with dual outputs. 

Question: does air just go through the path of least resistance, or does each output have its own source of air being pushed out? 

I can't tell if mine is faulty or not.  If I plug  one tube to an air stone, nothing happens. If I connect both tubes to a 'T' and one tube going to the airstone, I get some results. 

I have the USB pump from aquarium coop.  But I needed something more powerful for this purpose.  So I opted for one of those no names on Amazon.  I think I'd rather just double up on the USB ones as they work reliably well. 

Note : I know nothing about pumps. Never needed one before.. 

Edited by Gideyon

On 9/27/2021 at 9:09 PM, Gideyon said:

Question: does air just go through the path of least resistance, or does each output have its own source of air being pushed out? 

I can't tell if mine is faulty or not.  If I plug  one tube to an air stone, nothing happens. If I connect both tubes to a 'T' and one tube going to the airstone, I get some results. 

I have the USB pump from aquarium coop.  But I needed something more powerful for this purpose.  So I opted for one of those no names on Amazon.  I think I'd rather just double up on the USB ones as they work reliably well. 

You should get output from each side.  

On 9/27/2021 at 10:09 PM, Gideyon said:

each side should give out air. But depending on some factors it could very. If you had a line from each that was equally long and went on exact path and same distance in tank depth wise. Both should operate equally. But if one of those factors is off (or some other factors) they will be different. I personally would buy a ACO USB air pump for each line I wanted to run. Would probably be cheaper, more quite by a long shot, and more reliable.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:09 PM, Gideyon said:

How deep are your tanks?

This pump provides adequate pressure to 3 different 10 gallons, 2 airstones in each (1 airline to each tank, then a splitter with individual controls + a backflow valve to prevent water getting to the pump), and the 4th airline goes to a 4 way gang valve to provide aeration to all my pico tanks.

I discovered that the 2 outlets on the left of the air pump depend on each other somehow, and the 2 outlets on the right also impact each other. 

Without taking the pump apart, I am guessing that the company designed only 2 diaphragms in the air pump, and each diaphragm pushes air through two outlets.

If the airline pops off the #1 port, the #2 port no longer has enough pressure to push air into the QT.

Based on what you are describing, either your air pump has a single diaphragm running both ports, or it is defective. 

Try running one port to a single air stone, and the other port to a different airstone, and place them both in the same depth of water.

If you use identical new air stones for the test, and you notice one has more bubbles than the other, you have a defective air pump.

PS: I am saving up for the Co-op linear piston air pump, and a new rack system, because the Co-op linear pump puts out more pressure for deeper tanks, in addition to aerating more tanks, and it lasts longer. I currently have 13 up and running, and the linear pump would have been more cost effective. 🤦‍♂️

16328072279912577331965700122308.jpg