Planting Help

I have several plants picked out for my 40 gal aquarium. When ordering I'm going for free shipping. How many plants is to many to start?

I'm using gravel and plan to buy the bundle plant food easy line. I'm cycling this tank prior to my fish purchase. 

IMG_20200929_092517_01.jpg

12 hours ago, FranJ said:

I have several plants picked out for my 40 gal aquarium. When ordering I'm going for free shipping. How many plants is to many to start?

I'm using gravel and plan to buy the bundle plant food easy line. I'm cycling this tank prior to my fish purchase. 

IMG_20200929_092517_01.jpg

Hi Fran! I don't think there is a limit to plants? Not sure though. 🙂 Did you meant to post this as your own question? I don't mind it being here but perhaps you'll get a lot more answers if it's its own post. 🙂 

Personally though, I think the more plants it has the better because plants help maintain a clean tank and they also suck up nitrates. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, LunarFlower29 said:

Hi Fran! I don't think there is a limit to plants? Not sure though. 🙂 Did you meant to post this as your own question? I don't mind it being here but perhaps you'll get a lot more answers if it's its own post. 🙂 

Personally though, I think the more plants it has the better because plants help maintain a clean tank and they also suck up nitrates. 🙂 

I am still trying to figure out how to post.. sorry! but thanks for the input!

Hello Fran.

Regarding the water lily I believe people let it sprout to figure out which is top and bottom. Then you'll want to get rid of the wool rock gently if there are roots involved. finally they bury the roots but leave the bulb above the substrate so it doesn't rot. but I've never owned one so take my word with a grain of salt and definitely research it. as for pearl weed I've found mixed reviews as some people have have had melt back to complete plant death so I can't really give advise on that one. Some say to acclimate your plant for a week or two then remove the wool rock and plant into substrate, Good luck. As for stocking plants in tanks I'd say as long as each plant is getting it's share of nutrients, lighting and root space (if they're buried) then experiment and research. The only limit is your tank size :)     

On 9/28/2020 at 6:13 PM, LunarFlower29 said:

I just received my Pearl Weed and Dwarf Aquarium Lily Bulb that I purchased.

So for the pearl weed, do I just plant it in the basket? Do I remove the wool stuff? 

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I have no idea how to plant some plants. 

Thanks!

We recommend planting pearl weed in the pot, with substrate to the top of the pot so that it can creep laterally and grow upwards once it is done converting.  Here is our blog article  guide to planting new plants https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-plant