Growing anubias emersed

Keeg

Im going off to college in a few days and I am those types of people who doesnt do fake and plastic decorations. The only plastic decor I have is a vase made out of reused plastic. I want to have a little patch of anubias grown out of water as more of a house plant. 

Does anybody know a good method of doing this? Like is gravel better, or sand, or ceramic balls? Does it need a drainage hole? Should I mist it daily or just keep the roots in water? Etc. Etc. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Something kind of like the photo but I want to grow in glass. 

sample.jpg

Never tried to grow it that way but don't see why it couldn't work. I'm wondering if you could do like a partial water landscape and grow anubias like bamboo or some orchids. Maybe get a rectangular glass "vase", glue the anubias to a piece of longer driftwood and stick one side into the water with whatever combo of rocks/dirt in the bottom, depending on how the anubias reacts you could submerge it more or less and with a container like that you could see how it's doing underwater too. The attached not so much for an anubias and too busy, but an example- and the kind of glass I'm talking about. 

tempFileForShare_20210917-2326211.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.
  • Like 1

Are you talking about the roots growing circular or the plant? 

I think you could tempt this plant to grow into just about any shape with encouragement and patience. Fishing line may work but you could also consider floral wire or bonsai wire- that's depending on what material it's made out of if it's in water or not. I grow bonsai and use wire to manipulate, but also grow bamboo so similar stuff but never tried with anubias which frankly is one of my favorite aquatic plants. 

I attached another possible shape that was more like what was in my head but again it's orchids- anubias could easily be pictured there. 

tempFileForShare_20210917-2356401.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.

If you want it to be simple to setup, grab yourself a suction cup shower caddy or sink sponge caddy and fill it with lavarock. From there you can place the Anubias on top and it should thrive as long as it's growth has already been converted to emersed and the roots are able to absorb enough nutrients.