How do you attach/ plant Java moss

Atitagain

I was trying to figure out a way if I ever wanted to move the moss it would be easy. The moss I had before I’ve tied down to rocks or drift wood, if I wanted some for a breeder box or whatever I would have to basically just tear some off. The problem with this it would always loosen the entire patch and eventually scatter throughout my aquariums. Not saying this is an original idea I’m not really sure, I haven’t seen anyone doing this and I did no research except thinking it through.

I was gonna use fishing sinkers but had none on hand but found some bio rings6DFF87B6-0F9D-44C7-A710-A1F7FBF09529.jpeg.e16a5e2573966c9c115ad8ad76ac7b11.jpegpulled a 12”ish piece of fishing line through. Then added a ball of moss on top. Making about 5” left on each side.5D96531F-0F2D-41CA-B4F1-EE1A36D32E71.jpeg.d0c1e00b855b28ad1cd4c6f1d9e0c51c.jpeg4CD16F40-4573-4122-A6F3-77F2D84E6D43.jpeg.1cee99e4b62f527275fa9a817e550e2a.jpegthen cut one of the extra lines off. Leaving a piece to place it into the tank.5033C9BC-77CB-4A1D-9017-6DD2F10AF093.jpeg.25db45c888d98f20b6ff70ef32b3ec98.jpegthen I can either cut the other line or leave it so I can remove easier in the future. I think I will need to rotate or move piece every so often so moss doesn’t attach. Then when I’m done using piece for whatever reason I can replace in original position.8FE0D027-025F-4DE4-A529-7DFCB083E6EC.jpeg.3e22c2198c015c97b1b32ffef3a9306c.jpegthis next pic is of the first piece I placed after around 10 minutes.838D56DB-0E08-4331-B88E-D5550E73F80B.jpeg.3422e079e413752866201ae9ca96cede.jpegAlso will need to keep trimed to a manageable size or retie as it grows.

I’m liking it in theory and unless someone knows why it would be to messy or something I guess time will tell.

how do you keep moss from falling apart especially when needing pieces in other places?

• Like 1

For me it feels impossible to not have even a small mess when separating moss, but I find I get less of a mess when I lightly pull it apart with my hands and not actually cut it. I also use fishing line to tie it along rocks and it ends up being like a net so I can tuck in leftover bits anyways. I know some people hold down the moss by super gluing it. I personally dont like this and I dont know which glue is best/ safe. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 6:09 PM, Keeg said:

For me it feels impossible to not have even a small mess when separating moss, but I find I get less of a mess when I lightly pull it apart with my hands and not actually cut it. I also use fishing line to tie it along rocks and it ends up being like a net so I can tuck in leftover bits anyways. I know some people hold down the moss by super gluing it. I personally dont like this and I dont know which glue is best/ safe. 

I’ve used super glue gel before I know it’s safe ACO sells it on the site. But as it grows all the moss that isn’t touching rock/ wood is so lose it come apart and scatters. Maybe I’m just not trimming enough to make it stay compact? When I used to have it I was breeding African cichlids and didn’t really need it so I hated it. Now I’m doing smaller fish rummynose, cardinals, corys, palty, I see the value in it and trying to find ways to manage it.

• Like 1

I sewed mine with fishing line to a mesh media bag cut apart then tied it to the wood with fishing line. I have since removed all moss as shrimp and Cpd survival became too high. When I wanted to relocate I used another mesh bag with my hand inside pulled off moss and turned bag inside out to capture moss before it floated everywhere.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 7:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

I sewed mine with fishing line to a mesh media bag cut apart then tied it to the wood with fishing line. I have since removed all moss as shrimp and Cpd survival became too high. When I wanted to relocate I used another mesh bag with my hand inside pulled off moss and turned bag inside out to capture moss before it floated everywhere.

Yes, another really good idea.

mesh media bag? Like the ones ACO sends plants in?  But using a bag with hand inside makes a lot of sense.