Baby chicks

Keeg

On 9/16/2021 at 10:06 PM, Brandon p said:

Do you know which breeds they are.

Rhode island red mixed with something else, the first rooster was a pure Rhode Island, but bred with some other kind, and their kids (these chick's father) turned out a light brown with long white tail with a single blue feather. So mutts lol

On 9/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, Hobbit said:

Aww! So cute! Are these your first chicks?

Second batch ever! first batch we had 26 chicks, I dont know if I want that many this time, but these guys are 3 days old now and no other eggs show signs of hatching any time soon

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 10:15 PM, Brandon p said:

My kids have been a part of 4H for years and have had my different breeds. I never liked the rhode reds were the meanest of them. Most of the others came when called would let you feed them. You could hold them like bunny’s. The polish was one of my favorites. 

The first rooster we got was from my track coach who owns a farm. They didnt want them anymore as he was pretty aggressive and the hens weren't laying as much. I personally like grey brahmas with black dots. I had a couple hens awhile back but raccoons came out of nowhere unfortunately. 

We had someone toss a Rhode Island rooster over the fence. We are in a go size city and my oldest was fight city hall about having chickens and definitely not a rooster. I agree no roster. But we had him about 2 weeks as we tried to regime and he was hard on the girls and eggs numbers dropped. As for the brahmas that’s one chicken that when they say chickens are closely related to dinosaurs I can believe it. I loved them

• Like 2

I think teenage chickens of any breed look a lot like dinosaurs, honestly. 😄 

We got two chicks for a broody hen a few summers ago (snuck them under her at night—it worked!!) but they both turned out to be roosters. They were black australorps. They never attacked us but they were so, so hard on the girls. It was horrible. The hens wouldn’t come off the roost in the morning until my husband or I was there to protect them. One hen even tried to live in the neighbor’s yard to avoid them. Also they would crow starting at like 3:00am and go ALL DAY. We ended up butchering them, but they didn’t even taste good. 😝

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:17 PM, Ken said:

Before we moved to the city we kept a flock of Buff Orpintons for eggs. Every spring we would let a couple hatch out a clutch of eggs, great fun to watch the hens find bugs then cluck to the chicks to come and get it.

We have a black berry problems and they've completely ridden their area of any plant life 😂

• Love 1

• 1 month later...