Nerite Snail behavior

Tanked

My Nerites rarely do something interesting beyond disappearing for a week or  getting stranded on the floating plants.

Twice in the past week they have started having some sort of group meeting in different locations.  This is a first, at least for me.  Possibilities: There is a problem in the tank, they are canoodling, gossiping about the 4th Nerite... I'm not sure, but my inner artist thought it was a good photo op.

3 Snail.jpg

On 9/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, Griznatch said:

Nerites are so odd sometimes. we've got some that are over 2 years old now. I think the favorite pastime of mine is jungle val basket weaving. They like to climb out to the ends and make them sink, and then just keep doing that until it's all interwoven.

Mine don't weave, but they do use them as elevators back to the substrate.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, Tanked said:

My Nerites rarely do something interesting beyond disappearing for a week or  getting stranded on the floating plants.

Twice in the past week they have started having some sort of group meeting in different locations.  This is a first, at least for me.  Possibilities: There is a problem in the tank, they are canoodling, gossiping about the 4th Nerite... I'm not sure, but my inner artist thought it was a good photo op.

3 Snail.jpg

Hmm, looks like it some snail canoodling.  Snexy times.  Prepare to get bedazzled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you want to make some money, ask Zenzo how to set up a small brackish water tank.

Before elevating the salinity, add the nerite snails to lay eggs.

Remove the snails, and gradually increase the salinity. Takes a bit for the eggs to hatch, and even longer for them to grow into adults that can be sold.... but worth the wait.

• Like 1