Wood vs Metal Fish Rack

BenAquatics

I'm thinking about building a fish rack using either 2x4s or metal storage shelves (the Gladiator storage shelving holds up to 2000 pounds per shelf, which is more than enough for my needs).

I was leaning towards using 2x4s, but the recent flooding from Hurricane Ida has me reconsidering. Would a 2x4 stand hold up to water damage from a flooded basement if I pump out the flooded water quickly?

Edited by BenAquatics
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, BenAquatics said:

I'm thinking about building a fish rack using either 2x4s or metal storage shelves (the Gladiator storage shelving holds up to 2000 pounds, which is more than enough for my needs).

I was leaning towards using 2x4s, but the recent flooding from Hurricane Ida has me reconsidering. Would a 2x4 stand hold up to water damage from a flooded basement if I pump out the flooded water quickly?

I'm a big fan of 2x4 tank stands and rack systems. They are very strong if done right. If you use treated lumber and marine grade plywood you won't have a problem if it floods. It's not cheap but you can build it how you want and not have to stick to a pre determined size from the manufacturer of the shelves. For me it's worth it. Just make sure you don't get any splinters from the treated lumber. 

• Like 1

I’m going to put on my marine carpenter hat here. 🙂 🛶

hem/fir/pine regular 2x4s will take bit of water just fine as long as they’re not standing in damp for an extended period. They might swell or warp a bit but they won’t rot if you get them dried out in a reasonable amount of time. I’d be particularly careful about the end grain where the legs meet the floor, seal them well.  Marine ply is a good idea for the shelves but crazy expensive. ACX grade is waterproof and should work fine. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2