Ich-x

Marimo_LoveCook

Hello Team Aquarium Co-op, few weeks ago i bought around 10 pygmy corydoras added to my existing 20 gallon tank which already consisted of around 40 endler/guppies and few panda cory and few other corydoras. After few weeks i saw which I thought was ich on one of the guppies. So i attributed that to the pygmy corydoras as i went to online and found that adding new fish can cause ich. I was sure coz I did not had this issue before so i added salt and increased the temp and it seems to improve the ich on the infected guppies after few days. So yesterday I bought an ich x and added (10ml) using oral syringe to the 20 gallon tank and forgot to water change so when i woke up today in the morning i saw 1 dead stripe corydoras not to forget virtually all my pygmy were dead and panda corydoras were on verge of death like they were very lethargic and barely moving. So i did a 40% water change today (added stress coat which on hindsight probably wasnt a good idea?) and did not add any medicine (Ich-x).
Can anyone help me what went wrong here and what can I do next, one being the obvious not doing the water change before adding the ich-x and I am still wondering how it effected only my corydoras and not the Endler/Guppies?
As you can see in the pictures some of my panda corydoras are still acting very weird like sticking towards filter sponge and some hanging upside on the floating plants as you can see in the picture but my endler/guppies are all fine.
Any kind of feedback would be helpful

260E9D05-6080-4F4C-BAC0-7DD37BE69E63.png

A96EE62C-0CE1-491A-8A24-182B9159F852.png

317E97E4-CBE7-4427-B54C-430861C8643C.jpeg

DD76B97E-BF60-4A54-8FD8-1301099CE304.jpeg

FF3F37E3-C91F-4E74-A92E-091AE48255F4.jpeg

Edited by Marimo_LoveCook

• Administrators

I agree with @Colu

We need more information to give a hypothesis (water parameters before and after, etc). It is unlikely that they died from ich, as it takes quite a while for fish to succumb to ich (and you would see it all over the fish). It is also unlikely that the medication caused them to pass.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:49 PM, Colu said:

Some information such as water parameters did you add an extra air stone before adding the meds how often do you do water changes

water temp around 79 - 83 

I water change on 2 weeks. 

I had air stone added to the tank after adding salt and raising the temperature. So I already had Airstone added before adding the ich-x

Welcome, and I'm really sorry you lost your corydoras. A few things that can help us help you are your full water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels, temperature of the water, pH, water hardness, whatever you can measure), and how much salt you added to the tank. I've used low levels of salt with cories without issue, but I'm not sure how they would handle higher levels.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:59 PM, Guppysnail said:

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Im sorry for your losses. I’m not a medical person but just wanted to share that corydora can be salt sensitive. 

I did not know that. but when I was initially treating my tank with salt high temperature and air stone they were all doing all fine. Its when I added Ich- x last night and woke up to the disaster in the morning. 

• Sad 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, Zenzo said:

I agree with @Colu

We need more information to give a hypothesis (water parameters before and after, etc). It is unlikely that they died from ich, as it takes quite a while for fish to succumb to ich (and you would see it all over the fish). It is also unlikely that the medication caused them to pass.

looking back now I should've tested the water parameters immediately after what I have witnessed instead I started doing the water change.  The current water parameter seems to be fine as you can see in the picture. One more thing I forgot to mention is that I have ceramic stones that came with the fluval power hang in the back filter. I know it is said that not to use any carbon filter with ich-x so I am wondering if that is applicable to ceramic media too? or my guess is that the combination of salt and ich-x did not go well. 

F6EF03B4-5D28-4ECB-A288-43DD8AFB62C2.jpeg

On 9/8/2021 at 10:21 PM, laritheloud said:

Welcome, and I'm really sorry you lost your corydoras. A few things that can help us help you are your full water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels, temperature of the water, pH, water hardness, whatever you can measure), and how much salt you added to the tank. I've used low levels of salt with cories without issue, but I'm not sure how they would handle higher levels.

Hey miss Lari Thank you for you reply and concern, yes I should've tested the water parameters immediately after what I have witnessed the tank instead my dumb head started doing the water change. The current water parameter seems to be fine as you can see in the picture. One more thing I forgot to mention is that I have ceramic stones that came with the fluval power hang in the back filter. I know it is said that not to use any carbon filter with ich-x so I am wondering if that is applicable to ceramic media too? or my guess is that the combination of salt and ich-x did not go well. 

F6EF03B4-5D28-4ECB-A288-43DD8AFB62C2.jpeg

• Administrators

As others shared, it may be due to the amount of salt added. I am sorry that you lost your fish. Very sad. If all of the other fish are acting and looking healthy, it most likely must have been something specific to the water conditions that the corydoras  could not tolerate.

Ick x is quite a mild medication it safe to us with scaleless fish shrimp and snails I have used it with fry in the tank to treat a fungal infection  I don't think ich x is the cause how many table spoons per gallon of salt did you add to the tank did you gradually add the salt over a couple of day as to not shock them