advanced technology in the hobby or maybe im just a noob.

Casual aquatics

Hello everyone firstly if your taking the time out of your day or night to read this then thank you. I am on a journey in my life right now! we are buying a big beautiful house built in the 1920,s! it comes with already built into the yard a 100-200 gal koi pond! exciting yes I know that's what made us want it. however the yard isn't that big its pretty got a above ground garden trough built in the yard which my brain is racking ideas could I turn that into a pond/tank too or do I keep it a garden grow food or just some pretty flowers a lot of decisions to be made. however like I mentioned above the house its self is nice size I'm actually gonna get to build my fish room. like sure right now I have 8 tanks spread through a duplex but that's not a real fish room obviously! plan on turning my 135 into a community tank as a center piece moving the Large cichlids to the three hundred gallon pond for now tell I can afford and build my 2kpond in the basement the dinning room is gonna become the fish room do to its size and shape! cant wait to set it up and do some videos at any rate! for the real stuff in truth though I been in the hobby for a few years or more but I'm still a NOOB! when it comes to advanced stuff in the hobby. I run all my tanks in the basic ways most I have is canister filters I have tried to build my own using Cory's video but that's as advanced as it gets. I'm curious to know how one sets up an auto water changing system. do all your tanks have to be drilled to do so? secondly to that what system do I purchase and where do you recommend getting it from. if you know of a great video for the product your suggestion that would be nice too. I have used Cory's Wi-Fi plug so I assume that would be necessary as well to function the system its self. next subject would be floor testing as mentioned above the house was built in the 20's it has all wood floors  from what I seen when i toured the house the floor's are made from 2x6 in most spots. however I question how sturdy they are as mentioned I want to load the dinning room with a bunch of tanks done some research your average 2x4 can hold 700lbs so do I just go down in the basement and put 2x4,s under all of the beams. with a house that old should i just get a bunch of actual floor jacks. the concern there is cost I'm not rich moneys tight and tied up in the house its self. and last but defiantly not least SOLAR POWER! for those of you that have a fish room large tanks or ponds etc. its no secret that when you start running that many big tanks in your home store or whatever you have. your  electricity bill is gonna start rising along with other bills and I'm just wondering if anyone has converted to solar power if its possible if it would even be worth it. or if you have used any solar powered items in the hobby that you actually stand by. I only have used a solar powered fountain for my pond but it don't have a storage feature so only works when sun is hitting it but at any rate been seeing a lot of solar power adds getting emails etc. so truly has me curious if anyone has any experience with any of the above feel free to leave your input thank you in advance.  

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 5:33 PM, Casual aquatics said:

Hello everyone firstly if your taking the time out of your day or night to read this then thank you. I am on a journey in my life right now! we are buying a big beautiful house built in the 1920,s! it comes with already built into the yard a 100-200 gal koi pond! exciting yes I know that's what made us want it. however the yard isn't that big its pretty got a above ground garden trough built in the yard which my brain is racking ideas could I turn that into a pond/tank too or do I keep it a garden grow food or just some pretty flowers a lot of decisions to be made. however like I mentioned above the house its self is nice size I'm actually gonna get to build my fish room. like sure right now I have 8 tanks spread through a duplex but that's not a real fish room obviously! plan on turning my 135 into a community tank as a center piece moving the Large cichlids to the three hundred gallon pond for now tell I can afford and build my 2kpond in the basement the dinning room is gonna become the fish room do to its size and shape! cant wait to set it up and do some videos at any rate! for the real stuff in truth though I been in the hobby for a few years or more but I'm still a NOOB! when it comes to advanced stuff in the hobby. I run all my tanks in the basic ways most I have is canister filters I have tried to build my own using Cory's video but that's as advanced as it gets. I'm curious to know how one sets up an auto water changing system. do all your tanks have to be drilled to do so? secondly to that what system do I purchase and where do you recommend getting it from. if you know of a great video for the product your suggestion that would be nice too. I have used Cory's Wi-Fi plug so I assume that would be necessary as well to function the system its self. next subject would be floor testing as mentioned above the house was built in the 20's it has all wood floors  from what I seen when i toured the house the floor's are made from 2x6 in most spots. however I question how sturdy they are as mentioned I want to load the dinning room with a bunch of tanks done some research your average 2x4 can hold 700lbs so do I just go down in the basement and put 2x4,s under all of the beams. with a house that old should i just get a bunch of actual floor jacks. the concern there is cost I'm not rich moneys tight and tied up in the house its self. and last but defiantly not least SOLAR POWER! for those of you that have a fish room large tanks or ponds etc. its no secret that when you start running that many big tanks in your home store or whatever you have. your  electricity bill is gonna start rising along with other bills and I'm just wondering if anyone has converted to solar power if its possible if it would even be worth it. or if you have used any solar powered items in the hobby that you actually stand by. I only have used a solar powered fountain for my pond but it don't have a storage feature so only works when sun is hitting it but at any rate been seeing a lot of solar power adds getting emails etc. so truly has me curious if anyone has any experience with any of the above feel free to leave your input thank you in advance.  

Hope your new (old) home is solid, and meets all your needs. Depending on where you live, the outdoor pond sounds like it’s got lots of possibilities.

Is the basement dirt? Insulated? Electric downstairs? Most folks prefer to go low with tons of tanks, or move laterally to a garage. Weighty tanks need to be against a wall where the beams underneath are perpendicular to the wall. As for bracing underneath… hmm… I’m not a carpenter. You’ll need some pro help there.

Lots of folks heat the room instead of separate tanks to cut costs. I’m not sure you’d save much with solar, but it is getting more efficient. If you’ve got cash to try it out, go for it! 

Edited by Fish Folk

On 9/7/2021 at 6:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

Hope your new (old) home is solid, and meets all your needs. Depending on where you live, the outdoor pond sounds like it’s got lots of possibilities.

Is the basement dirt? Insulated? Electric downstairs? Most folks prefer to go low with tons of tanks, or move laterally to a garage. Weighty tanks need to be against a wall where the beans underneath are perpendicular to the wall. As for bracing underneath… hmm… I’m not a carpenter. You’ll need some pro help there.

Lots of folks heat the room instead of separate tanks to cut costs. I’m not sure you’d save much with solar, but it is getting more efficient. If you’ve got cash to try it out, go for it! 

The basement is 10% complete I'm still gonna have too lay concrete the reasons I want the tanks on the first floor is cause I plan to build my 2k in the basement which will take up the space yes plumbing and electricity down in the basement Atwell also seems sturdy built inspector only sited a few minor things. On the property  also thanks for your reply 

Haven't got anything helpful to add but wanted to say a big congratulations!!

Also find it interesting that a 1920s built house is considered old in the US! My house is 1920s too but it's small and not considered that old here really. Even Victorian built houses (1800s) aren't old. My parents house (well the original part of it, it's been extended and added to many times over the years) was built in the 1600s and even that isn't particularly remarkable. 

On the other hand you talk about your 135 gallon tank like it's no big deal, over here that size tank is almost unheard of! Well maybe not completely unheard of but would be considered huge! Then the really *big* tanks like Cory's 800 I don't think even exist over here. Can't even imagine how hard it would be to move your 135 gallon. 

Interesting lesson in perspective I guess.

Good luck with the move!

• Love 1

On 9/8/2021 at 12:06 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Also find it interesting that a 1920s built house is considered old in the US! My house is 1920s too but it's small and not considered that old here really. Even Victorian built houses (1800s) aren't old. My parents house (well the original part of it, it's been extended and added to many times over the years) was built in the 1600s and even that isn't particularly remarkable. 

On the other hand you talk about your 135 gallon tank like it's no big deal, over here that size tank is almost unheard of! Well maybe not completely unheard of but would be considered huge! Then the really *big* tanks like Cory's 800 I don't think even exist over here. Can't even imagine how hard it would be to move your 135 gallon. 

Good luck with the move!

Well I'm not sure that it's considered  old to me that's old lol. 1800`s that's crazy 🤪 and yea it's not a light tank probably 2k pounds full of water the tank weight rocks etc definitely alot of weight to consider. Why don't you have big tanks there? Doesn't anyone build them? I also have a 300 gal above ground pond I'm considering having inside if it doesn't fit in basement  🤔 could put in yard with other one but I want yo keep cichlids in it not cold water fish 😉 and moving the tank can be done by two decently strong men bet the tank empty is 100-300lbs. And thank you very much I'm very excited and nervous will be my first home I bought!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 7:07 AM, Casual aquatics said:

Well I'm not sure that it's considered  old to me that's old lol. 1800`s that's crazy 🤪 and yea it's not a light tank probably 2k pounds full of water the tank weight rocks etc definitely alot of weight to consider. Why don't you have big tanks there? Doesn't anyone build them? I also have a 300 gal above ground pond I'm considering having inside if it doesn't fit in basement  🤔 could put in yard with other one but I want yo keep cichlids in it not cold water fish 😉 and moving the tank can be done by two decently strong men bet the tank empty is 100-300lbs. And thank you very much I'm very excited and nervous will be my first home I bought!

I've looked online and you can order them so some people must be buying them but they aren't common at all and would be considered pretty remarkable. Maybe they are in the houses of the rich and famous? 

I think we tend to have smaller tanks simply due to space, our houses are much smaller over here than yours tend to be. 5-20 gallon tanks are most common and anything bigger would be thought of as 'big' if that makes sense. 

300 gallon above ground pond sounds awesome! Be sure to post pics once it's set up. 

First homes are an exciting time! Will be stressful at times but pretty special too, enjoy it! 

On 9/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, Casual aquatics said:

For sure I have posted a pic on here I believe on myvprofile plenty vids on my channel  etc  but most definitely will share the new start journey on here when I close on the house! Thanks for your interest and comments on this post friend 

Oh cool didn't realise you had a channel, how do I find it? Same name as here?

Edit: never mind, found it and subscribed! 

Edited by KentFishFanUK
  • Love 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:06 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Good luck with the move!

So true! The entire Seattle area where Aquarium Coop is located is barely over 150 years old. The oldest house in the area was built in 1862! 😆 
And we have big tanks because they fit in the back of our pick up trucks of course! 

• Haha 2