Tidal vs Aqua clear

Guppysnail

On 9/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, Streetwise said:

@Guppysnail, I show the flow options in the thread, and you should be able to cut coarse sponge to fit. I downsized the Aquaclear foam since that thread was last updated. It also fits Co-Op pre-filter sponges.

You can also see it in my Indoor journal.

🤣 I didn’t realize that was a thread. Thanks

• Like 1

I just wanted to add one thing. I would never AGAIN put shrimp in a tank with this filter. I love the filter as far as filters go. You can customize to your hearts content. BUT that skimmer deal is a deal breaker for keeping shrimp and or fry.

I thought I  had that problem fixed by hot glue and screen over the skimmer. Well that lasted a few days and the hot glue came loose. Then I remembered that the pump cover has vents. Which I am guessing is to cool the motor.

I pulled the filter awhile ago to address the screen and found two dead shrimp and a baby snail in the filter housing. I ended up cutting some small pieces of screen, rolling them up and jamming them in the skimmer vents. They were tight so I'm fairly sure the skimmer part is done. I started to cover the vents for the pump but decided to leave that alone.

As I said, I love the filter, but I don't think this filter is a good idea for anyone trying to keep shrimp.

• Like 1

I've been very happy with my Tidal 110 in my 95 gallon.  I've had tons of guppy fry with no skimmer issues.  I did put a very thin piece of coarse sponge over the skimmer intake and super glued it on.  I like how quiet it runs, the large media basket, and I feel like the auto-prime feature is absolutely essential, at least where we live out in the country where we lose power several times a year.

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority of the self priming. Not a big deal to me. Having the motor in the tank means more equipment being shown inside the tank than necessary. 

The notification thing, all the little blue parts on it (instead of just being black like the rest of it) and the skimmer on the Tidal is why I don't like it. 

I love Aqua Clears. Only thing it's missing is being made of flexible material. 

Edited by Jeff

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 8:20 AM, laritheloud said:

I have a Tidal 55 as well! I use it on my 29 gallon, but I'm still too much of a coward to remove my Aquaclear 50 from the tank (it's been like this for two months.... side-by-side filters set on low flow). I absolutely adore it. The basket is really deep, the self-priming mechanism sells it for me. Pre-filter sponges are a very snug fit but they work. Sometimes the 'clog' knob will rise up and signal a clog even if there isn't one (like, the day after a cleaning). Just push and fiddle with the media a bit and that usually works for me.

As far as the surface skimmer goes, I cut a piece of filter media bag/fine mesh and just tuck it into the slots. I don't glue it down so I can clean it and replace it occasionally. Works great!

I know this post is a month old but after reading yours I was wondering how you cover the skimmer on the 55?  I have one as well but I checked and seemed like there wasn't room to shove anything in there like there is with the tidal 35.