Brine shrimp heater??

Howfie_03

My brine shrimp are taking over 36 hours to hatch (ziss system with aquarium coop brine eggs and fritz salt). I think it must be the temp. My house is very cool (70f) and the water in the brine shrimp tank reads 68ish. 

what heater do you guys use in your brine shrimp hatchery? I tried a 10w aqueon preset and it heat the water to 100.4… so clearly I need something adjustable. Ideas?! 

I use a preset 20 watt heater in my ziss brine shrimp hatchery and get a decent hatch after about 24 hours but if I wait it out to 36 to 48 hours I get a really good hatch. I add roughly 2.5 tablespoons of aquarium salt and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to bump up the ph. I have very hard tap water but the ph is only around 6.6 to 6.8 hence the use of baking soda. I've come to the conclusion that I'd need to run 2 shrimp hatcheries if I want baby brine everyday. Another easy to keep live food is microworms. You could easily rotate those two foods and provide your fish with a healthy variety of live foods. Cory has a video on keeping microworm, it's super easy. I hope that helps. 

Another thought before I hit submit, a lot of those low watt heaters are very unreliable. Once you get up to around 20 to 25 watts they start to improve in reliability. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, Eddie Dingle said:

I use a preset 20 watt heater in my ziss brine shrimp hatchery and get a decent hatch after about 24 hours but if I wait it out to 36 to 48 hours I get a really good hatch. I add roughly 2.5 tablespoons of aquarium salt and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to bump up the ph. I have very hard tap water but the ph is only around 6.6 to 6.8 hence the use of baking soda. I've come to the conclusion that I'd need to run 2 shrimp hatcheries if I want baby brine everyday. Another easy to keep live food is microworms. You could easily rotate those two foods and provide your fish with a healthy variety of live foods. Cory has a video on keeping microworm, it's super easy. I hope that helps. 

Another thought before I hit submit, a lot of those low watt heaters are very unreliable. Once you get up to around 20 to 25 watts they start to improve in reliability. 

Do you happen to know the brand you bought?! 

On 8/28/2021 at 7:02 PM, Ken said:

I use a desk lamp I bought at a thrift shop for $2.50. Move it closer or farther away to adjust temp. After a few batches you can tell about how far away is right.

Do you run it 24/7 when hatching?! I’ve not considered a light but this seems like a very viable option! 

On 8/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, Howfie_03 said:

Do you run it 24/7 when hatching?! I’ve not considered a light but this seems like a very viable option! 

Yes, I keep it plugged in, it probably turns on every 15 minutes or so and heats for about 3 minutes before it shuts off. I keep my house around 74 to 75 degrees. It does a good job of holding the temp at 78 degrees. 

On 8/28/2021 at 8:20 PM, Howfie_03 said:

Yes. Light is supposed to help with the hatching. I more or less follow what is shown in this video. I hope it's okay to link to Prime Time, I don't think he's the competition, as far as I know he doesn't sell anything. I hang my bottle rather than try to balance it on top of another but other wise follow what Jason does.