Hatch/birth to saleable size

Ben Ellison

My rainbow chiclids just laid their first set of eggs.  I've done some reading and got a semi developed  plan in place. I was wondering what is considered  success when dealing with fish breeding percentage  wise? I know the number of eggs they lay is fairly high, but I'm assuming nowhere near all of them can be expected  to be successful.  Anyone have history with egg laying chiclids?

The range is anywhere from 0 - 100%. First time breedings often result in no fry. With angelfish fish in a community tank, about 1 - 2% would survive to adulthood because of predation by their fellow tank mates.

With Convict cichlids, sometimes it seemed every egg hatched and grew up to juvenile size. Same with hatching the eggs artificially, maybe they all fungused over, but sometimes they all made it.

A very poor and nearly useless rule of thumb would be 25%, maybe.

In the end though, the best course of action is don't count your eggs before they hatch.

This is my first time dealing with egg layers and so I was really  just trying to gage my ability  to successfully  breed them not overly interested  in money from it at this point thats just a good side benefit. I estimate there to be over 100 eggs so if I get 25 ill be satisfied  this go 👌 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

This is my first time dealing with egg layers and so I was really  just trying to gage my ability  to successfully  breed them not overly interested  in money from it at this point thats just a good side benefit. I estimate there to be over 100 eggs so if I get 25 ill be satisfied  this go 👌 

I have a pair of jack Dempsey's raising their third set of fry, I didn't get any from the first batch, and I have 20-30 from the second batch, the third batch just got to free swimming 2-3 days ago, I have 200-400 of them currently and am hoping for 20-50 to get to sellable size.

IMG_7509.jpg

IMG_7511.jpg

Edited by MattyIce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1