Canadian Quarantine Trio

Something Else

So I bumped into a couple of Jack Dempseys, lovely little mating pair. I had to have them, impulse buy. Got home and realized I'm all out of Quarantine Trio. I head back to big Al's to find out Maracyn, Para Cleanse, and most all meds are no longer allowed to be sold to consumers in Canada. The only way to get them is from a vet prescription, which honestly I can't seem to afford or find a vet locally willing to prescribe meds for fish without being them in and stressing them out. 

Long story short, I was only given a small selection of available meds from the local pet store, and all the tank mates for the Jack's have now passed away. 

What would be the recommended alternative to the Quarantine Trio, but available to Canadian consumers without a prescription? 

Help is much appreciated, I lost many fish from my impulse buy, but let's be honest it will likely happen again one day, but I need a plan in place for medication.

Peas and Tanks!!! 

quarantine-meds-trio_1200x.jpg

1 hour ago, Green Thumb Aquariums said:

Do we not need to concern ourselves with the grain size of the salt? I'm asking because the article uses tablespoons instead of a measure that is independent of grain size like grams.

Doesn't seem like the kind of treatment where grain size would matter. If you used the same tablespoon at Levels 1, 2, and 3 then the relative ratio of each treatment would be consistent.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Doesn't seem like the kind of treatment where grain size would matter. If you used the same tablespoon at Levels 1, 2, and 3 then the relative ratio of each treatment would be consistent.

That's a fair point. I was thinking more about whether you could somehow reach a toxic level (or start with too much) because you've used a form that compacts much more tightly than the "normal" salt. But I suppose also if you've gone from 1, 2, to 3 tablespoons then things aren't going well anyway.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am sure this is an old thread, but thought I'd ask anyway.  I do not have a quarantine tank and do not have access to the Trio as I am in Canada.  I was wondering if level one would be a good thing to do to introduce new fish to my tank.  I just had an ich outbreak and treated it with Super ICh, which seemed to work, but thought it would be good to do some prevention as to avoid the stress in finding disease in the tank.  Brand new to the hobby.  Thanks so much.

"Level 1 Treatment

1 Tbsp Salt per 3 Gallons of Water

Add 1 tablespoon (Tbsp) of salt per 3 gallons of water. You can pour the salt directly into the aquarium or hospital tank, but some people like to dissolve the salt in a small cup of water first. This level of salt is like using Neosporin topical ointment for a small cut (in other words, it’s not very strong). It’s used to fight mild cases of bacterial and fungal infection. Plus, it gently irritates the fish’s slime coat, causing the fish to make more beneficial mucus that can block some parasites and microorganisms from reaching its body.

We’ve kept and sold thousands of fish at our fish store, and this level of salt is safe for virtually all fish – except anchor catfish. Keep the fish in the salt solution for 4 to 5 days, and then increase the concentration if there’s no improvement."