Aquarium Filter flow GPM question

Hi All~

So I noticed that my 40G breeder has what looks like diatome "dust" on the plants. I have a Seachem Tidal 55 HOB, a large sponge filter (ACO) and an air stone. Current stocking is 2 plecos, 7 panda cory's, 10 otto's... lots of plants (getting ready to add more over the weekend).

Is my flow not enough? I clean the sponge filter every 2 weeks (or sooner if needed) and HOB has filter floss to keep the water clear. I have a sponge filter on the return tube. I have it on full flow as well. 

Here are my questions?

1) Do I need a larger filter (maybe a 75?)

2) Should I take the sponge filter off the intake tube?

3) do I need a power head/wave maker (or whatever you call it) to get that stuff off my plants/rocks etc. and into the filter where it belongs?

Any suggestions/recommendations are very welcomed! 

How long has your tank been set up? What is your substrate?

The issue with flow has more to do with how it is directed. If your plants are acting as blocks, there may be spots in the tank where the water is very still. Not all fish like a strong current.

When did you notice the dust? How long is your light on for?

• Like 1

@eatyourpeas The tank has been set up for 6 months. I have eco complete as the plant layer and small gravel on top of it. I can see the plants moving nicely like an outdoor "breeze". The HOB is in the middle, the sponge filter is on one side, and the air stone on the other side. 

I only noticed it a few days ago.. and I don't over feed either... I am just wondering if its not enough? 

Is it possible the plecos disturbed an area of the tank and then the stuff settled on the plants? I sometimes see that in my tanks when the critters get active and dig and move. I wouldn't worry about it too much if parameters look good. You can extract it next time you do a WC with a siphon. As @Patrick_G mentioned above, detritus happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update~

I had to add a stronger air pump for the sponge filter. I had the ACO USB one for the large sponge filter and I don't think it was strong enough. I had an extra one air pump lying around that I kept for " just in case" situations. its a 4W, 4L/Min air pump and it did the trick.. although @eatyourpeas your 100% right the corydoras and plecos and dusting stuff up! But the sponge filter is working better to suck it in from the water! 

Thanks everyone for your help!