Introducing Hopeful1 and aquariums

hopeful1

I am a retiree from the hi-tech field in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was a graphics engineer. I am a novice, and I am real interested in obtaining a stable balanced aquarium. You know there are people who doubt the possibility.

My aquarium life began when I found a 40 gallon plexiglass tank and stand at a yard sale about 20 years ago. I started out with regular tropical fish and in a few years I switched to koi because of no need for temperature and special water concerns. The 2  koi fish reached about 18 inches and died in fifteen years. At this time I had never experimented with a planted aquarium. My daughter-in-law brought me several baby Angel fish about two years ago.

I am still in this 3RD aquarium period. The 40 gallon tank has an Ehiem canister filter and an air stone. The substrate is a single layer pebble bed with glass marbles and stars. The heater is digital. Recently I added  three plants and three pieces of java moss on stones, some river stones,  and an external pothos plant. I vacuum almost every day and change 25% water weekly. 

Two angel fish started mating and producing eggs, so they were moved to a new 10 gallon tank to produce children. The 10 gallon tank has a aquariumcoop nano sponge filter and an air stone, run by an aquariumcoop nano air pump. I vacuum daily and do a 50% water change one a week. The angel fish have mostly been eating brine shrimp.

40gallon tank.jpg

10gallontank.jpg

• Like 1

It was the hope they would lay eggs on the bottle (filled with sand). They chose the heater next to the filter and good circulation, which makes sense. Unfortunately they laid and devoured eggs in less than three hours. My wife said the eggs were all no good from the start. I figure we lost about 300 babies, so sad. The eggs occupied a rectangle of 1/2 inch by 5 inches.

Originally the Angel fish  lived in the community tank and also laid eggs on the heater. 98%  of the eggs looked good but became fish food.  There are people who want some Angel fish from me.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, hopeful1 said:

It was the hope they would lay eggs on the bottle (filled with sand). They chose the heater next to the filter and good circulation, which makes sense.

Not a bad idea, though. Maybe put the bottle near the sponge filter and move the heater away from it.

• Like 1