Hillstream Loach

TMartins

I just purchased 1 Hillstream Loach from my local LFS for a 20 gallon high Aquarium.  I know it’s been just a few days but every time someone walks in the room she goes and hides.  I know she comes out when no one is around and does her thing because I’ve sneaked up on her and watched.  Has anyone had this experience and is buying 2 more the answer??  Is 3 Hillstream Loaches OK for a moderately planted 20 gallon high tank??Right now I have 1 Bolivian Ram, 2 Platies and 5 Albino Cory’s in the tank.  She’s not bothered by the other fish, I’ve witnessed one of the Cory’s come right up to her.  It’s a cycled tank with 0 Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates, 7.4 PH, 6 kh & 6 gh.

Genuinely as far as the shyness goes she probably is just settling in still. most fish, especially wild caught ones, see big shadows cross the water and hide because it could be a predator. as you chill around the tank and she notices that the big scary shadow doesn't really do anything she'll become more brave. Just be patient! as for the stocking questions I really wouldn't know. someone more qualified can answer that one lmao

• Thanks 1

I just got a hillstream loach two days ago for my 12 gallon long, and he's been in hiding ever since. I don't think it's anything alarming, some loaches just like to hide more than others, especially when the lights are on. I would give it some time and not worry about it too much.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:18 AM, TMartins said:

I just purchased 1 Hillstream Loach from my local LFS for a 20 gallon high Aquarium.  I know it’s been just a few days but every time someone walks in the room she goes and hides.  I know she comes out when no one is around and does her thing because I’ve sneaked up on her and watched.  Has anyone had this experience and is buying 2 more the answer??  Is 3 Hillstream Loaches OK for a moderately planted 20 gallon high tank??Right now I have 1 Bolivian Ram, 2 Platies and 5 Albino Cory’s in the tank.  She’s not bothered by the other fish, I’ve witnessed one of the Cory’s come right up to her.  It’s a cycled tank with 0 Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates, 7.4 PH, 6 kh & 6 gh.

Theyre pretty social, i definitely recommend keeping 2-3. A planted 20 high is plenty of room for a few hillstream loaches. When i first purchased a single loach i had the same experience with him being a bit shy. When i added a female to the tank he absolutely went nuts, it was so cool. I didnt know that a fish could be so obviously and visibly excited before that. 

• Thanks 1