is tds of 350-400 bad?

Gannon

Hello! Because of my tap water having obscenely high ph (9.5+) as well as many other issues I have had to use RODI water. This is fine as I've been doing it for years at my previous home which had similar but less extreme issues. Point is, when I use Seachem's alkaline buffer, equilibrium, and acid buffer on new water to get the parameters to 7.2 ph, 4 kh, and 6-8 gh, it always comes around to about 350-400 on my TDS meter. I keep fish like denison barbs, rainbows, corydoras, honey gouramis, bettas, and soon clouded archerfish. Will this be an issue for any of these fish in the long term? Haven't had issues so far after moving to this new location! Thanks for any help that you all can offer!

I also have very high TDS (around 350ppm) and I have had no issue with cories. I suspect the other fish could also be acclimated to that TDS, especially the betta, but I can't say so from experience.

PH of 9.5 is so high! That's really interesting. I'm surprised your local water supplier allows it to be that high.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:34 PM, Kat_Rigel said:

I also have very high TDS (around 350ppm) and I have had no issue with cories. I suspect the other fish could also be acclimated to that TDS, especially the betta, but I can't say so from experience.

PH of 9.5 is so high! That's really interesting. I'm surprised your local water supplier allows it to be that high.

Cories are known to like soft water right? so if they can adapt can't most fish?

On 7/27/2021 at 10:39 PM, Kat_Rigel said:

I'd suspect that's true but I don't want to give you the impression that I've done it before with those other species. I bet it can be done. I suspect TDS is less important than clean water and good overall husbandry.

Hopefully even less important than ph, gh, kh, etc

On 7/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, Gannon said:

Hello! Because of my tap water having obscenely high ph (9.5+) as well as many other issues I have had to use RODI water. This is fine as I've been doing it for years at my previous home which had similar but less extreme issues. Point is, when I use Seachem's alkaline buffer, equilibrium, and acid buffer on new water to get the parameters to 7.2 ph, 4 kh, and 6-8 gh, it always comes around to about 350-400 on my TDS meter. I keep fish like denison barbs, rainbows, corydoras, honey gouramis, bettas, and soon clouded archerfish. Will this be an issue for any of these fish in the long term? Haven't had issues so far after moving to this new location! Thanks for any help that you all can offer!

TDS can be affected by fertilizer, I  never worry about TDS

but that 9.5, can be a killer and is not good, I'm not sue African cichlids would live long in that

On 7/27/2021 at 11:13 PM, TankofFish said:

TDS can be affected by fertilizer, I  never worry about TDS

but that 9.5, can be a killer and is not good, I'm not sue African cichlids would live long in that

Ph is fine now at 7.2 with the help of RODI water and remineralizing it! I was just illustrating that tap water isn’t an option for me.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:51 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

The high TDS is because Equilibrium has potassium and iron included it its mix. If you are looking for lower TDS, switch to diy dry fertilizers. CaSO4 and MgSO4.

its not fertilizers I need, its gh and kh supplements

On 7/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, Gannon said:

its not fertilizers I need, its gh and kh supplements

CA and Mg are nutrients that plants and animals uptake. CA and Mg make up GH. If you want to set a GH while maintaining a lower TDS, you will need to forgo equilibrium, and use as I mentioned. 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

CA and Mg are nutrients that plants and animals uptake. CA and Mg make up GH. If you want to set a GH while maintaining a lower TDS, you will need to forgo equilibrium, and use as I mentioned. 

I’ll look into it! Thanks