Tank stand

Just scored these from work boss said I could have them half the work and cost is done for me now to just add the legs and braces. Anyone build there own stands thinking have it four foot tall so gonna need 8 four foot pieces 2 at 5ft for long cross brace and 8 at like 12 inches for the with cross braces any tips pictures or advice is welcome. As this will be my first stand build 

8B53C807-DE34-4393-B073-9A4359ED2A1D.jpeg

• Like 3

IQ2I built my own stands based on Joey at King of DIY and KG Tropicals videos. I'd recommend watching those. I don't recall any Aquarium Coop videos on the wooden stands. 

What dimensions are your tank and the stand going to be? 4ft high for the stand sounds pretty tall.

Here's some photos that show how mine are built.

20200906_182513.jpg

20200905_204507.jpg

20200920_093155.jpg

20200904_161111.jpg

20200920_115712.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:38 PM, ChemBob said:

IQ2I built my own stands based on Joey at King of DIY and KG Tropicals videos. I'd recommend watching those. I don't recall any Aquarium Coop videos on the wooden stands. 

What dimensions are your tank and the stand going to be? 4ft high for the stand sounds pretty tall.

Here's some photos that show how mine are built.

20200906_182513.jpg

20200905_204507.jpg

20200920_093155.jpg

SSo your probably right 4ft my be a little ridiculous honestly not sure as mentioned above never built one seen one on lrb aquatics and it was really sturdy  However for starts putting a 55 on it but want it to be strong enough for say a 125 or 90gal somthing like that also do you think a ply wood top is sufficient or don’t have top gar all just the rack

If you don't have the plywood, you need the outside dimensions to match the Aquarium footprint, or at least the 4 corners of a rimmed aquarium sitting on the frame, with vertical supports underneath. Basically, the design from King of DIY has the corners of the tank on the corners of the stand. My longer stand emulates that, but is designed for 2 40 breeders. I have 1/2 inch plywood on top, and only 1 40 breeder. It also has a terrarium and 5 gallon tank on the left now. 

For a 6 ft rack, I'd definitely do a center support on the rack. I cannot say if it would be required for a 4 ft tank, but I don't think so. I encourage you to watch a few DIY 2x4 aquarium stand builds on YouTube. They'll typically talk about what length they'll add the center support. 

I think a lot of people use plywood, not sure what thickness, on the various racks to hold aquariums without the supports directly underneath. I haven't done this, but there are a number if fish room builds in this forum where they use this setup. 

• Like 1