Insecticide removal?

Ramba Bamba

Hey guys, a friend gave me a bunch of lava rock from his front yard. He has used an herbicide in his yard but not directly on the rocks and is pretty sure he’s never used insecticides. Just to be safe how can I thoroughly decontaminate these rocks so that they can safely go into my shrimp tank? 

I am not aware of a way to decontaminate something as porous as lava rock. I personally wouldn't risk it. If you think it is ok, maybe soak it for a couple of days in a QT aquarium, then introduce a few shrimp to see if you have any problems. This would only help with quick problems though. Not sure what long term things could come up. 

On 7/18/2021 at 9:49 PM, Ramba Bamba said:

Hey guys, a friend gave me a bunch of lava rock from his front yard. He has used an herbicide in his yard but not directly on the rocks and is pretty sure he’s never used insecticides. Just to be safe how can I thoroughly decontaminate these rocks so that they can safely go into my shrimp tank? 

Lava rocks from Hom depot  or Lowes  is cheap, I would not risk using the ones given to you.

• Like 1