New project - guppy/shrimp tank

I thought I would start a new project. Picked up a 10 gallon tank, scaped with gravel I had and sand/lava rock I had from home depo. Ordered some plants, root tabs and filter from aquarium coop. Picked up a turquoise guppy male and some female guppies locally. And we are off to the races! I hope to keep posted on progress.

20200714_182149.jpg

• Like 6

Looks great! Let us know how the guppies do with the shrimp--depending on what size you are planning on.

I have RCS, and I have been worried to throw adults in with guppies until my plants really fill in, pretty sure the shrimplets wouldn't have a chance. But I have put a few guppy fry in the shrimp tank successfully while they were under 3/4". My guppies are possibly piglets crossed with piranha....They root through the plants and peck everything.

Testing a half grown juvenile shrimp with Pseudomugil gertrudae this week...so far they ignore him. Holding my breath. 🙂

Edited by Brandy

The LFS here has various colors of "cherry" shrimp, locally bred. I figured they would be small enough to hide around the filter, in the dwarf sag, or even with the loose collection of lava rock. Last time I kept shrimp with guppies, there was not much cover but they still found a way to over populate. Unfortunately the heater went haywire and I lost the whole batch. This time it will be in an unheated tank and 10 gallons instead of 5 gallons. I'm thinking give it a week or two to settle in, then add about 10 shrimp.

Well now I can count more than a dozen guppy fry, algae is starting to grow and the plants are doing well. Time to add shrimp. Being that Covid is picking up pace here in central California and given my local fish store are limited as far as shrimp goes, I decided to order shrimp from Aqua Huna. Of the fish shops in the area, one has only cherry shrimp and another one which normally carry multiple color is completely out, I decided on yellow shrimp. If all goes well and they breed readily, I will have a few thing in my favor: 1) a product the local fish store may need and 2) when I move some to my 5 gal tank, which has a black substrate, they would look great. Unlike when I bred black lyretail mollies, I think the guppies and shrimp from this tank may get some buyers. Or maybe store credit. Either way, I will enjoy thank and if it get too crowded I have options.20200723_191245_LI.jpg.2507b3044d2e8b6cd4723a4e882383aa.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The guppy/shrimp tank is what I am doing right now. I bought a 20 gallon and it's currently going through the cycle. Moving pretty quick too, thanks to all the tips I found every where. I haven't decided on the strain of guppy yet, but I am going with the cherry shrimp too. It'll probably still be a month before I'm really ready to take pics though.

This is my first foray back into fish in 40 years and the mistake i already made was getting some blue gravel substrate. I love the more natural look you have, but I went that route in my 40 gallon.