Fluval Flex series anyone?

....just an update with this tank. It has 10 Ember Tetras (tiny little buggers, they get bigger?) and now 6 of my home-bred Otocinclus. Have been running it with an old filter from my 3 gallon tank in one of the back chambers since I first started the tank and watching parameters very closely. It will take time before I know whether the tank is "overstocked" but I have backup plans for all residents. I'm letting this sette for at least a couple of weeks or a month before I attempt to add my Betta, Spark. The little Embers love all the caves it's almost as if they have each staked out their individual territory. Of all the schooling fish I have the Embers are the most bold and gregarious- they will come to the front of the tank to interact unlike my Harlequins (they will eventually come to the front of the tank if I just sit there), Black Neons (totally try and stay away from me), and Otos. The tank I'm really impressed with actually, and the aftermarket parts are perfect- no high flow at all, the Embers play around and near the spray bar withouth fighting it too much. Runs a nice 79.1 with no heater. Oh and I did add one of my Nerites BFG to take care of the growing biofilm and diatoms.

Resized_20210819_170111.jpg

Resized_20210819_171029.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Ok Flex friends, I already have an issue. My pump now has decided to make an awful lot of noise. I tried to trouble shoot it but haven't taken it apart yet, just pulled it out and did a visual inspection. I may have to consider another pump. I looked at fluval's site and they of course charge crazy shipping fees. I figure I can get a different one, anyone replace theirs with something else? Links? 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just to update. Since nobody piped in and after having to clean the stock pump a few times in a week to get it back to full flow before it clogged again (and there was nothing visually clogging it) I ended up buying a random, adjustable (since the stock one isn't)pump on Amazon (harder to find small pumps that aren't high output I've discovered) and putting it in the tank. I also removed the aftermarket low flow spray bar and put on the stock one (though I don't think that was contributing to the issue, but more on that in a second) and removing the aftermarket grate/vent covers and putting back on the stock ones. I also got a VERY small Hygger nano tank sponge filter (that has an output and suction cup), added an air pump/line and stuck it in the back filter area for extra filtration. 

Why the overkill you ask? Well because the original pump wasn't doing its job my tank got sick- with Ich. Had to pull the Nerite out and treat with Paraguard. I'm on day 18 (I treat until I see zero spots for at least 7 days and I have 3 more days going by that rule now). The tank gets warm too, weird because my 3 gallon used to sit in the same spot it'd get 81 at peak of the day. This tank is already close to 80 in the morning and at last checck at 4pm my time it was 81.9- so no need to use a heater (even for Ich treatment). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, BriannesFishFam said:

I cleaned the sponges tons of times and the fish waste doesn't seem to come out of the fine sponge. even if i leave the sponge sitting and drying for a month it still holds ammonia. I think it's just how it was designed

Oh I think someone gave you bad information, if your sponge dried out, all the good bacteria died. That would definitely kill the cycle, not the sponge. When I need to clean my filter sponge, I like the 3 squeeze method, when you do a water change you put your dirty sponge into the water that you are going to get rid of and give it 3 squeezes and a shake. Definitely doesn’t remove everything but keeps lots the good bacteria for your cycle. 

Sorry about the Ich @xXInkedPhoenixX, terribly unfortunate. I’ve had the water level drop on a couple occasions but never completely dry. I think your right that was the source of infection. Your trouble with the pump and now this feels odd to me - had no issues like that but I’ve tended to use outlet sponges to limit flow. 
Our trouble now has been the front glass cracked. I ended up snipping the sponges and material in the filter compartment to meet the water level. 
Im hoping you’ve made it through the growing pains and are doing ok. 

@Beardedbillygoat1975 actually of all the diseases I'm actually comfortable treating Ich now, sad to say- but I've had success. I did lose some of my Ember population with the treatment in this tank and an Oto which is unfortunate but since I changed the pump (and check it every day) and have been running the Hygger sponge in the back chamber all has been a lot better. For whatever reason this particular tank seems to jam up the pump a lot more often than any other tank I've had like it. 

Did you ever find out why your tank cracked? I was reading about your losses on your other pages- such a shame. ADFs bring a lot of joy though so that's probably a great tank for them especially since the water line is lower. 

• Thanks 1

@xXInkedPhoenixXi think the tank was moved twice in as many months probably developed a weak point in the glass/silicone and then I suddenly saw a spreading crack. Luckily it was high enough I could drain it to 2/3 and still use it for the frogs. I’m absolutely smitten with that crew and plan to do a water change tonight after work. They reportedly need humidity and don’t like to have to go too high in the water for their O2 so hopefully this is a win win. Watching them clumsily feed is downright comical. Ray of sunshine in a sea of guppy regret. 

@Beardedbillygoat1975 there is no doubt- ADF are so cool. Every time I go to my Mum's house I can't stop watching the 2 that I got for her. They are such clowns- it's kind of amazing to think they even survive in the wild since they can't get anywhere they SEEM to be headed- and yes, their eating is clumsy to say the least which is why I had her start with target feeding (to make sure they were getting food) and I think that's the only way she feeds them now- which TBH has kept that tank considerably cleaner than if they just ate on their own- I can't even imagine. 

The Flex does seem rather fragile- it certainly isn't a tank you can just move on a whim that's for sure. I think it is a happy accident it occured to yours- as yes, I think the ADF prefer the shortest route to the top. Glad they've been some source of joy. 

• Thanks 1

I've got one set up at my office at reception. Just the Flex 9.

using stock equipment, light is on a timer. I did baffle one of the outputs with a pre-filter sponge so the endlers (boys only) aren't blown around the whole tank.

I've had it with low light plants (java ferns, anubias, crypts). Currently has some dwarf chain sword and limnophila sessiliflora. The limnophila has been growing fine. The dwarf chain sword is still good, but not sending out runners from what I can see. I may change it back to crypt parva.

Nice little tank.

• Like 1