Safety principles for proper aquarium maintenance

jv85

Hi! I was wondering what does the comunity think are the best practices for keeping aquariums while in a family environment. Which safety precautions should we teach children that are too young to manage an aquarium? Or, how are there propper steps to follow if an accident happens like a broken aquarium, flooded aquarium or other hazard that may happen? It would be cool to have a brochure for common situations that may arise and how to propperly manage them. Even how to manage fish species that may harm ecological factors if released in the wild.

I no longer have kids living in our home, but we do have grandkids visit. My main concern would be tip-over accident, so I always have rock solid tank stands. Next concern is electrical hazards. All cords are neatly behind the tank so little hands have no temptation to tug on them. Next I always have all fish food, supplies and accessories properly stored. Those little hands.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, jv85 said:

Hi! I was wondering what does the comunity think are the best practices for keeping aquariums while in a family environment. Which safety precautions should we teach children that are too young to manage an aquarium? Or, how are there propper steps to follow if an accident happens like a broken aquarium, flooded aquarium or other hazard that may happen? It would be cool to have a brochure for common situations that may arise and how to propperly manage them. Even how to manage fish species that may harm ecological factors if released in the wild.

Loud noise and sudden movements in front of tanks ie television action shows played loud, children yelling jumping etc will frighten many fish. They will become stressed and hide much more as well as long term stress is not healthy.  Enjoy your new tank. I hope it becomes a loved family hobby.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 8:49 PM, Guppysnail said:

Loud noise and sudden movements in front of tanks ie television action shows played loud, children yelling jumping etc will frighten many fish. They will become stressed and hide much more as well as long term stress is not healthy.  Enjoy your new tank. I hope it becomes a loved family hobby.

The trick is to make sure it happens all the time.  Then they'll habituate.  Mine's above the trashcan and they used to jump after closing the cupboard, but now it doesn't even wake them if they're sleeping.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 1:54 AM, CT_ said:

The trick is to make sure it happens all the time.  Then they'll habituate.  Mine's above the trashcan and they used to jump after closing the cupboard, but now it doesn't even wake them if they're sleeping.

I had no idea they could get used to that. Very cool.

• Thanks 1

I have 2 little ones and a 3rd on the way.  

Because of that, I only have one space I can safely place a tank: on top of a counter (wet bar) in the basement.   The limitation is I can only fit 1 10 gallon tank.  The counter can't support more. 

The advantage of that location is that it's high enough for them to not reach the top of the tank (even if on a chair).   So no "extra" feedings.  It can't tip over as well. 

The wires go to the inside of the wet bar. I have a baby gate blocking the way. 

I still have the risk of things being thrown at it.  But so far my kids aren't like that. 

However, my nephews are visiting this weekend.   They throw.  I'm considering putting a box around it. 

• Thanks 1

Water + electricity would be number one in my book.  I had a million in one fluke shot happen with shaking a wet hand and having a drop of water fly 6 or so feet and land perfectly in an open wall socket-  causing it to arc out.  Luckily I live in a relatively small apartment with the breaker box located right next to the front door and was able to flip the master in a matter of seconds.

Poisoning would be number two- both for kids that might get access to and ingest aquarium food/fertilizer/chemicals/critters as well as for critters as kids love to put just about anything they can find into water (ask a plumber for their war stories).  Small kids "feeding the fish on their own" by dumping an entire bottle/can of fish food into a tank seems to be a common scenario and that would be helpful to have "next step" instructions for.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:51 AM, Gideyon said:

So no "extra" feedings.

don't forget extra "feedings" too.  My 2yo has put some random stuff in a few times but he's mostly lost interest.

He also put a shovel full of dirt in my tub pond while I was setting it up, so now I'm Walstad I guess.  After saying no about half a dozen times he doesn't mess with any of my tanks/tubs anymore.  With kids though YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2