My Gourami is a jerk

CosmicAshhole

Hello again!

So, my fish have been together for a little while now... My gourami is not a peaceful guy.  He killed the other gourami, and now he's terrorizing my tetras.  I am not sure what to do with him.  Would I be the worst if i put him into my parents tank with some Blood Parrots?  Or would I be better off setting him up, alone, in a 10 gallon?  I have a 5 set up, but I feel like it's too small?

Any advice would be great.  

Thank you! 

Edited to add: He's a pearl gourami. 

Edited by CosmicAshhole
  • Sad 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:23 PM, CosmicAshhole said:

Hello again!

So, my fish have been together for a little while now... My gourami is not a peaceful guy.  He killed the other gourami, and now he's terrorizing my tetras.  I am not sure what to do with him.  Would I be the worst if i put him into my parents tank with some Blood Parrots?  Or would I be better off setting him up, alone, in a 10 gallon?  I have a 5 set up, but I feel like it's too small?

Any advice would be great.  

Thank you! 

What is the expected max full grown size for this particular Gourami?

Dwarf Gouramis are notoriously aggressive. Somehow, in certain circumstances, they can be tamed — mine are currently in a species-only set up. But to advise you... I’ll need to know exactly how big this “jerk” fish will get!

On 6/28/2021 at 2:39 PM, Fish Folk said:

What is the expected max full grown size for this particular Gourami?

Dwarf Gouramis are notoriously aggressive. Somehow, in certain circumstances, they can be tamed — mine are currently in a species-only set up. But to advise you... I’ll need to know exactly how big this “jerk” fish will get!

He's a pearl gourami.  He should only get about 5inches or so

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 2:49 PM, Fish Folk said:

I realize that this is a debatable approach, but I’d reach out to my LFS and see if I could trade him in. Maybe for a female? Or, just for another aquarist to enjoy. Craigslist can work sometimes too. 

My husband recommended this, too.  I feel bad about doing that -- but I am starting to think it would be the best option.  My LFS had a cute little (f) Honey gourami when I went on Saturday.  I'll give them a call. 

• Like 2

If the pearl isn't working out, I'd try honey gouramis or thicklipped gouramis. I have a female thicklip with my honeys and she is wonderful.

ETA: I *will* say she chases tetras away from her morsels of food, but that's as far as it ever goes. And my tetras are voracious chompers and they've earned the little bit of chasing she does. 🤣

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1