Looking to recreate Ocean Aquarium's CO2 set up

Huck

I am sure everyone remembers or has watched videos where Cory and the gang visit Ocean Aquarium in the Bay area. In the first video, they looked at the way the owner of the shop was using a little CO2 gun or something to fill bottles that floated and let the CO2 slowly absorb into the water. 

I want to try something like that, but can't even think of where to start trying to replicate that. Any ideas are welcome, and I am almost hoping someone else is already doing something similar.

What you are referring to is what is usually called “passive CO2”.

Its easy to do, just fill an inverted vessel with CO2 gas, and it dissolves in solution over time.

Here’s a video that nicely describes the process…

But, in my experience, it provides little benefit, especially in all but the smallest of tanks.

This dissolved level of CO2 provided simply is not of sufficient quantity to make much of a difference.

Edited by tonyjuliano
  • Thanks 1

I've been intrigued by the idea of using a jar to hold the DIY generated CO2 then having a powerhead with the venturi air intake placed up high in the jar to atomize the collected CO2. Diffusing the homebrew CO2 can often be a challenge, so this would help to solve that issue.  It might be the most efficient way to utilize home brew CO2. It would probably be a bit noisy but it might work out pretty well. You wouldn't need an especially large jar/collection chamber as the CO2 would be getting dispersed as soon as it was released. You don't want to connect the venturi input of the powerhead directly to the CO2 outlet as it would create a vacuum, but sharing a space with the collected CO2 could just work.

• Like 1

That is worth a try. I am going to give it a go. I have been starting to go a bit deeper down the rabbit hole of planted after years and years of only growing plants in sand or gravel with diy lights, easy green, and no co2.

Thanks so much.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:19 PM, Huck said:

I am sure everyone remembers or has watched videos where Cory and the gang visit Ocean Aquarium in the Bay area. In the first video, they looked at the way the owner of the shop was using a little CO2 gun or something to fill bottles that floated and let the CO2 slowly absorb into the water. 

I want to try something like that, but can't even think of where to start trying to replicate that. Any ideas are welcome, and I am almost hoping someone else is already doing something similar.

Oh ok I see what you mean. I have already figured that out. Just use aquarium coop tubing. Then stick a 2mm bendable aluminum wire.  After that I just twisted the tubing with wire in it around a  random stake I had sitting around. I use the same to fill up my passive system. See photo.

IMG_20210702_140750.jpg

On 7/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, marc206 said:

Oh ok I see what you mean. I have already figured that out. Just use aquarium coop tubing. Then stick a 2mm bendable aluminum wire.  After that I just twisted the tubing with wire in it around a  random stake I had sitting around. I use the same to fill up my passive system. See photo.

IMG_20210702_140750.jpg

Oh that is perfect. What are you using for the valve and tank?

On 7/2/2021 at 6:19 PM, Huck said:

Oh that is perfect. What are you using for the valve and tank?

I have a half cut 24 oz gatorade bottle upside down in my fluval edge 6 gallon all newly planted with all of the plants pearling only needing to fill the co2 twice a day. Still tinkering around with the surface area to diffusion for the 20 gallons and up. 

Edited by marc206

@gardenman  I recently started using a few weeks ago and wanted to see if you have seen a better one.

I just bought a Rio Plus 800 venturi and I'm really starting to like it. I've been using a lot less co2 and it does a great job whipping co2 around my tank.

The impeller from the rio 800 has 6 adjustable blades and it breaks up co2 really well. It's pushes out a mix of mist/microbubbles.

impeller.jpg.e1282b705412a4b5e03a5c4562d26d64.jpg

Its definitely a little noisy depending on how much co2 the impeller has to break up, but It doesn't bother me too much especially since it is so easy to use/clean.

I've been looking at needle wheel impellers used for calcium reactors also but I can't find one that is a reasonable price. I would love to know if there are any venturis that you have been looking at.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:52 AM, Koi said:

@gardenman  I recently started using a few weeks ago and wanted to see if you have seen a better one.

I just bought a Rio Plus 800 venturi and I'm really starting to like it. I've been using a lot less co2 and it does a great job whipping co2 around my tank.

The impeller from the rio 800 has 6 adjustable blades and it breaks up co2 really well. It's pushes out a mix of mist/microbubbles.

impeller.jpg.e1282b705412a4b5e03a5c4562d26d64.jpg

Its definitely a little noisy depending on how much co2 the impeller has to break up, but It doesn't bother me too much especially since it is so easy to use/clean.

I've been looking at needle wheel impellers used for calcium reactors also but I can't find one that is a reasonable price. I would love to know if there are any venturis that you have been looking at.

So you hook up the co2 to regulator then to the rio 800s spare airline port?

rio.jpg.ffeabea28e07ffc7b14c79a258c0b0f3.jpg

@marc206 Just in case I wasn't being clear enough, I attach my line to this inlet.

So as far as I know only the rio 800 and 1100 has this specific impeller and these two pumps aren't really ideal for smaller tanks. It just so happens to work really well for my 65 gallon tank because it spins co2 across a 3ft length of my tank instead of floating straight up like you would see with a regular glass diffuser.

If you have a smaller tank a smaller venturi pump will probably work but this exact impeller was what attracted me towards this pump.

Edited by Koi

• 2 years later...